• Register Today It's free!

common mods...

anthony d

Reaction score
City, State
NY/NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
So what are the most common performance mods people are doing to the 2015 Explorer Sport?

Downpipes?
Exhaust?
Intake?
Tune?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are threads on all those topics you listed. Not all are specific to just the 2015 model. You can check through the threads or use the Forum's 'Search' function to find specific ones in the 'Modified' sub forum. Happy 'modding'.:thumbsup:

Peter

There are threads on all those topics you listed. Not all are specific to just the 2015 model. You can check through the threads or use the Forum's 'Search' function to find specific ones in the 'Modified' sub forum. Happy 'modding'.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks

Ok, so after being told to search, I have been reading some threads but cannot find definitive answers.

If I were to do catted downpipes, an exhaust, intake, and a thermostat, which tune would I want? And would that tune void my warranty?

What other accompanying mods would I need for the above mentioned mods? Would I need the 3-bar MAP sensor?

If your engine or drivetrain blew because of the tune and the dealer/ Ford proved it as the cause, then probably would not be covered under warranty. That's the reason to do your research and look for a tuner with a good reputation.

Best bang for your buck to start out with:
160 Thermostat, 3Bar Map, spark plugs, 93 octane 3Bar Performance tune.
Some like doing the cold air intake but I'm not sold yet. So far for now, I just have a K&N panel filter.

Next,
downpipes (let your tuner know about the exhaust to adjust the tune)
catback
meth injection (at this point, might want to dyno tune)
turbo uprgade (if going this far, I'd suggeest upgrading the engine internals.)

If your engine or drivetrain blew because of the tune and the dealer/ Ford proved it as the cause, then probably would not be covered under warranty. That's the reason to do your research and look for a tuner with a good reputation.

Best bang for your buck to start out with:
160 Thermostat, 3Bar Map, spark plugs, 93 octane 3Bar Performance tune.
Some like doing the cold air intake but I'm not sold yet. So far for now, I just have a K&N panel filter.

Next,
downpipes (let your tuner know about the exhaust to adjust the tune)
catback
meth injection (at this point, might want to dyno tune)
turbo uprgade (if going this far, I'd suggeest upgrading the engine internals.)

Great info, thanks! I am probably gonna go with Livernois, they seem like one of the better places.

I am definitely not looking to do meth injection or upgrade the turbos. I just want a little more power with basic mods. I PM'ed Livernois, but they haven't responded yet.

a Getting 2016 or 2017 Sport... What to do for first mods?

Here is what i would to do;

upgrade the suspension
upgrade the brakes.
work on the ecu with a pro-tune..

Are there staged packages with a Pro-tune? Any dyno numbers that collaborate work being done on the Sport?

upgrade the suspension
upgrade the brakes.

Are there staged packages with a Pro-tune? Any dyno numbers that collaborate work being done on the Sport?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have merged your thread with this one. There are many threads on mods that members have done to Sport and non Sport models. There are threads also on 'tuning' and results of 'tuning'.
Your best bet is to use the Forum's 'Search' function (top right) and familiarize yourself with its use. The threads you are looking for are in the 'Modified' sub forum. You can also, if you wish, just scroll through the various threads which cover all that you have listed.

Peter

upgrade the suspension
upgrade the brakes.

For the first two, what brand are you upgrading with and I'm sure you're aware that warranty will be voided for those replace components.

I'm interested in an intercooler upgrade, but it doesn't appear that this is a popular choice amongst Explorer EB owners.

upgrade the suspension
upgrade the brakes.

Tuning is by far the best and easiest modification that you can do! Your tuner will arrive to you completely blank, and ready to read info that will give us your factory calibration. You email that info to us, and we build you your tunes. When they are built we provide you with an app to download to your PC. This app will allow you to connect to our secured remote tuning server. All that you have to do is click "Update Tuner", and that will send us your factory calibration. Once we get that info to our calibration department we will have your custom tuning files ready for you in 24-48 hours. Whenever your tunes are ready to put onto your handheld we will email you letting you know that you can plug your tuner back into your PC and update the tuner again. After that, just load your tune onto your car and have fun!
There are not any negative side effects to responsible modifications, especially tuning. We are making power by making the car as efficient as possible. We have the longest and most successful track record in the EcoBoost platform, and all without a single client vehicle failure. We hang our hat on that achievement!

I'm interested in an intercooler upgrade, but it doesn't appear that this is a popular choice amongst Explorer EB owners.

There are not any transverse FMIC upgrades as there is no room for an upgrade to a stock vehicle. There would be remarkable modification required to accommodate a larger core.

Tuning is by far the best and easiest modification that you can do! Your tuner will arrive to you completely blank, and ready to read info that will give us your factory calibration. You email that info to us, and we build you your tunes. When they are built we provide you with an app to download to your PC. This app will allow you to connect to our secured remote tuning server. All that you have to do is click "Update Tuner", and that will send us your factory calibration. Once we get that info to our calibration department we will have your custom tuning files ready for you in 24-48 hours. Whenever your tunes are ready to put onto your handheld we will email you letting you know that you can plug your tuner back into your PC and update the tuner again. After that, just load your tune onto your car and have fun!
There are not any negative side effects to responsible modifications, especially tuning. We are making power by making the car as efficient as possible. We have the longest and most successful track record in the EcoBoost platform, and all without a single client vehicle failure. We hang our hat on that achievement!

There are not any transverse FMIC upgrades as there is no room for an upgrade to a stock vehicle. There would be remarkable modification required to accommodate a larger core.

Thank you for the explanation.

Not a problem! If you need anything else please feel free to let us know!

What are you going to do with it?
Unless the tune is revised for higher boost and/or additional timing, it isn't going to do diddly squat. No one is tracking an explorer to actually need additional cooling capacity. The 1/4 mile warriors don't stay on boost long enough to actually need it either. And the 5 people that may be interested don't justify its development. Plus, who said the OEM intercooler is not efficient and the aftermarket can do better?

What are you going to do with it?
Unless the tune is revised for higher boost and/or additional timing, it isn't going to do diddly squat. No one is tracking an explorer to actually need additional cooling capacity. The 1/4 mile warriors don't stay on boost long enough to actually need it either. And the 5 people that may be interested don't justify its development. Plus, who said the OEM intercooler is not efficient and the aftermarket can do better?
Based on your comment, every other bolt-ons aren't do diddly squat either, with the exception of a tune, so why bother doing anything?

Without a tune, nothing that one can bolt on will do anything. The ECU will manage torque output to a preset value and a tune revises torque management and unlocks the potential for further gains.
Once you remove torque management, some parts can show some gains without a tune tweak. Something like an intercooler is not going to do that. Yes, you can get cooler air into the engine, but by itself, it is going to be "rounding error" type power gainer. An intercooler doesn't make any power by itself. It may result in a cooler charge and therefore delay the onset of knock. The tuner can increase boost and/or add timing advance to take advantage of this higher knock threshold to make additional power.

A typical tune doesn't increase boost all that much from the factory setting, so the turbos are still operating close to their best efficiency point and not generating a whole lot more heat than at a stock boost level. Assuming Ford sized the intercooler conservatively, it should still be sufficient at higher boost.

An intercooler is only a tool to allow for a higher boost and more timing advance. Without a tune to tweak these, a larger intercooler will do nothing but create additional turbo lag and intake pressure drop.

I think that slicky is trying to say that there is nothing to be gained by modding your car without tuning it as well. Which is correct. I think that you are lost in his delivery. There are also parts that are not there for any direct performance gains, like an FMIC or tstat. They are there to boost efficiency, not add performance. Slicky is correct there too.

Tuning is the one MUST if you are going to mod your vehicle. That is what slicky is trying to communicate. I often have a direct delivery like him so I get it LOL

^^ I understand what you guys are saying and it might be due to my ignorance in FI vehicles, but my interests in intercooler upgrades stems from other platforms showing gains versus the snake oils being regularly available (CAI and catback exhaust).

The 3.5 EB is not unique to Explorers and I've read many positives reviews on both hp/tq gains with a high flow intercooler upgrade on F150s...without a tune!

DYNO-ATP-F150-001_1.gif

That graph looks like it is for an upgraded turbo car. There are no EB vehicles that make that type of power stock. This is why the IC would allow for more power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That graph looks like it is for an upgraded turbo car. There are no EB vehicles that make that type of power stock. This is why the IC would allow for more power.

Agreed, but there is still some real world gain without a tune and more importantly is to keep IATs down throughout the RPM range to prevent heat soak and to keep constant power.

Back