Comparison shopping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Comparison shopping

Spaghetti pie

Reaction score
Hello All, nice community you have here! I've been lurking since the intro of the new Explorer and have found a lot of info here, thanks for that.

I'm now in the market, and wonder what the thoughts are from this community with these options (maybe you have/are cross-shopping the same...). We're replacing a M-Class, our other car is an Audi Avant (wagon).

Requirements - 7 adult passengers once a week (car pool), no minivan (did that when the kids were smaller), awd/4wd.

Our short list...

Explorer Limited or '13 Explorer Sport
Infiniti JX or '13 Pathfinder
'13 facelifted GMC Acadia Denali

If you were to pick one of those four now... Would you still pick the Explorer?

FYI others that nearly made the cut from our perspective... R-Class Bluetec (wife hated the look, I guess a lot agree since it's discontinued in the US), LR4 (the miles we will put on it is below average, but it feels irresponsible to purchase a new car with such low mpg) if it had comparable mileage to the others mentioned here it would be our first choice, and the GL Bluetec (with the options we'd pick, it's a 15k++ premium over the others with pretty similar functionality). The other GM's don't make the cut style wise for us, same for the Flex, Durango, Lincoln, Mdx...etc.

Sorry for the long first post, just looking for lots of info/opinions before we pull the trigger.

Thanks!

-Spaghettipie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

The first thing you should do is have 3 adults sit in the second row bench seat of the Explorer. If they are all comfortable, then I will suggest leaving the Explorer on the short list. The reason I say this is because of the seatbelt design. A good number of folks find it uncomfortable, or even impossible to sit 3 adults back there. There is a thread dedicated to this design quirk.

We have only had ours for a couple of days but we love it so far. Good luck in your shopping and if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :)

Thanks VinceL, and congrats on your new Explorer (color looks great).

I just read the 'defective 2nd row' thread from January... I hadn't seen that complaint before. Uncomfortable seating in the 2nd row for 3 would be a deal breaker for us (we've been so focused on how comfortable the 3rd row is on these vehicles!)

We have the blind spot radars on one of our cars, and it's a great feature. We would like the BLIS on the explorer but don't like that they bundled it with the inflatable belts (we also don't like that the HID lights are bundled with the active park assist!).

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a closer look at it.

-Spaghettipie

Frankly, the Toyota 4 Runner was #1 on my short list. The 2011 Ex we bought replaced a 2002 Highlander with 150K that was flawless for 9 years.

However, the Explorer was #1 on my wife's short list. She found the 4 Runner ugly and too truck-like, and the cabin feels a bit tighter. She liked that fact that the Ex was more car-like, more Crossover than SUV, and was lower to the ground.

She won.

Welcome to the Forum Spaghettipie.:wavey:
After reading your post the first thing that also came to mind was the requirement to seat 7 passengers. Like Vince pointed out, the middle seat of the second row is not an ideal place to sit depending upon the individual's size. If you are seriously considering the Ex, then it would be a good idea to have a trial run. The GMC Acadia Denali says it can be configured for up to 8 passengers but again reality may be a different issue. This requirement would seem to be the main deciding factor so I suggest getting a couple of friends together and go out and try the models you are interested in. That test may make the decision for you.
Good luck.

Peter

We liked the Acadia as well, but the Explorer just had more features for the money and had a nicer interior. The Acadia's just looked like a sea of cheap plastic. Not that the Explorer is luxury mind you - but just looked a bit more upscale. I did see the 2013 Acadia Denali brochure and the interior does look nicer, but I would want to see it in person to judge it.

Additionally, at the time of our purchase the Explorer had a lot more features for the same price. It has adaptive cruise control with collision warning and brake assist, automatic parallel parking (I'm telling you, this is an awesome feature - not used often, but when needed its a life saver), my ford touch (when it works its great), The instrument cluster is pretty neat, inflatable second row seat belts, rain sensing wipers, BLIS, cross traffic alert and a many others.

I noticed in the brochure that the Acadia Denali for 2013 adds BLIS and cross traffic alert and a touch screen radio. Does not look like adaptive cruise control (which is a great feature BTW) or auto parallel park, nor rain sensing wipers. However, you'd have to look as the brochure isn't that detailed.

I probably would take a close look at the 2013 Denali, but based on what I've seen of it, I probably would still with the Explorer. Plus I like the look of the Explorer a bit more (a bit more aggressive looking).

I was also comparative shoping the EX with other cars. I decided not to buy the EX for the following reason. I like technology and the EX is really attractive due to MFT, among other things; However,the MFT is a big let down! After all the waiting for the big update 2 months ago, it still has a lot problems. Fuse 29 pull or disconnection of battery are still required periodically. What a joke for such an expensive ride! I also feel that Ford is not honest to its customers on the potential problems and resolutions to MFT. So that is the deal breaker for me.

Now Infiniti JX is on the top of my list. It is very high tech, as the EX, and it works. Infiniti already sold more than 2000 in the first month it was launched. The back up collision intervention is the world first and I really like it. It also has a logical combination of buttons and touch screen with voice commands. The only thing I would like in the EX and the JX does not haveis the second row captain seats. And you may not need it.

Welcome to the Forum

Thanks Peter.

Good advice, we will try again sitting across in the rows. We already sat in the JX, Explorer (w/o inflatable belts, will have to make sure we sit in one with) & '12 Acadia Denali... Checking leg and head room in the three rows. Looking back pretty silly that we didn't think to fill the seats across the rows as well! Example of why these forums are great...

-Spaghettipie

Thanks VinceL, and congrats on your new Explorer (color looks great).

I just read the 'defective 2nd row' thread from January... I hadn't seen that complaint before. Uncomfortable seating in the 2nd row for 3 would be a deal breaker for us (we've been so focused on how comfortable the 3rd row is on these vehicles!)

We have the blind spot radars on one of our cars, and it's a great feature. We would like the BLIS on the explorer but don't like that they bundled it with the inflatable belts (we also don't like that the HID lights are bundled with the active park assist!).

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take a closer look at it.

-Spaghettipie

You're welcome :)

I find the 3rd row hospitable enough. The only roomy third row I have ever sat in, that wasn't a mini-van, was that of the Sequoia. It was monstrous, as was the rest of the vehicle, lol.

The technology on this car is the bees knees. Still have some quirks, but it hasn't flipped out on us so far after 600 miles of intense MFT interaction (did I ever mention the steep learning curve?).

Like Peter said, gather up some bodies and give it a spin and see what works for you.

Happy hunting, and keep us posted!

Might want to keep an eye on the new Sport Explorer with the Ecoboost 6 ;)

I actually like the Infinity JX, looks great, awesome interior and tech etc. However major negative, CVT trans. If you never tried one before, do so. It is the weirdest, most annoying trans you could imagine. Never liked them never will. They ruined the Maxima with it, lost all sporting credentials no matter how much power they put in it.

I liked the CVT when I had the chance to drive a car with one. Then again, it was a 2011 Subaru Outback loaner I was given for a month (don't ask), so the car had no sporty pretenses, and the CVT gave me 30+ MPG the time I had it, so I didn't complain. On a sporty car my opinion might have changed...

But at least that can easily be answered with a test drive. How does the JX compare when it comes to interior room?

How does the JX compare when it comes to interior room?

On paper the ford may have a slight advantage, but overal it's pretty close. When I last sat/test drove the Explorer was last summer... So I need to check it out again to compare. I sat in the JX but didn't drive it yet. I've never driven with a CVT trans (unless you count a lawn tractor).

Here is a table comparing the cars in this order... JX, Explorer, GL, '12 Acadia

I think the leg room is max., so the 2nd row advantage for the JX is probably due to the fact you can adjust the 2nd bench & the Ford you can't (adjusting to max 2nd leg room would leave very little for the 3rd. Total passenger volume - JX 150 sq ft, Explorer 152.

Cargo size was smaller behind the 3rd row in the JX by 5.2 sq ft, and smaller with all seats down by less than 4.

Front Head Room (in): 40.7 41.400 40.1 38.5
Front Hip Room (in): 56.8 57.300 N/A 57.8
Front Leg Room (in): 42.3 40.600 40.3 41.3
Front Shoulder Room (in): 60.3 61.300 58.3 61.9
Passenger Capacity: 7 7 7 7
Second Head Room (in): 38.3 40.500 40.6 38.3
Second Hip Room (in): 55.8 56.700 N/A 57.9
Second Leg Room (in): 41.7 39.800 39.5 36.9
Second Shoulder Room (in): 60.4 61.000 58.9 61.1
Third Head Room (in): 36.5 37.800 38.2 38.1
Third Hip Room (in): 42.0 40.700 N/A 48.3
Third Leg Room (in): 30.8 33.200 34.2 33.2
Third Shoulder Room (in): 57.1 50.800 50.5 57.8

Wow, that's a lot of numbers! :)

Where did you collect your data? I ask only to see if the same metrics were applied in each case for measurement, so they can be compared apples to apples.

I'm getting a headache

Back