• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Comparison

shoelesscraig

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer, V8 Eddie B
Hi guys...new the forum, actually this is my first post.

I owned a 1991 Eddie Bauer and loved it. Got rid of it years ago and for the last 5 years or so have been driving a 2006 Eddie Bauer. I'm thinking of buying an either new or 1-2 year old Explorer Sport in the next year or so and was wanting to just get some general feedback on the difference between what I have now and what I would potentially be going to. I've watched a million YouTube videos and read a million reviews, but I figured it would be nice to talk to actual people who have probably owned what I have now and owned what I'm looking to get.

My Explorer now is 2006 Eddie Bauer w/ the V8 and towing package, 2 wheel drive. I guess I have 3 main things I'm wondering about:

1st would be towing performance. I believe I read somewhere that my current Explorer technically has more towing capacity than the new Sports (which I think is 5000lbs?). However, 5000lbs is plenty for what I will need. I occasionally tow a trailer (smaller utility type which weighs nothing) and will be looking to purchase a boat in the near (hopefully) future. Does the Sport and it's 3.5L EcoBoost tow well? Is there anyone who has had the older V8 like mine that has any comparison between the 2? Again, I just want to see how people feel it performs under a little stress, like with a boat that may be approaching the 5000lb mark?

Second...and I know this is a goofy question...but what kind of power increase am I going to notice going from the V8 I have now to the 3.5L EcoBoost? Obviously on paper, there is no comparison, but I guess I'm just curious about real world experiences people have. No, I don't race cars (and if I did, I wouldn't be buying an Explorer). No, I don't condone speeding on public streets and endangering people. I'm 34 with a family and those days are way behind me. The guy side of me is just curious as to how the new 3.5L feels. My 4.6L V8 is fairly strong if the gears are shifting just right, but I'm exited about something that feels a little more sporty.

Lastly, in very general terms, are people happy with the AWD system and how it performs off-road or in snow. I come from a family of Jeep Wrangler owners and have been around them my whole life. I know from past experience with my Explorers that they aren't even in the same league as a Jeep (and were never designed to be). Please understand I'm not a goofy teenager wanting to take my stock Explorer rock crawling. I'm just asking...does it do "adequately" in something like a little mud on back roads or a little snowfall? I've never dealt with a car that has 4WD and does NOT have a true transfer case shifter to go into 4WD LOW. I know about the selector knob on the Sport for the different modes, but have read mixed reviews about them. I'm just wanting something with a little more off road capability than my current ride, which of course is 2WD. I figure this will more than fit the bill, but again...I figured I would ask the experts with real experience.

Sorry for the long post guys...happy to be here. Look forward to learning from you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum shoelesscraig.:wave:
I can't comment on the comparison part not having had the V8 but the V6 Ecoboost is a very nice engine. Several members have 'tuned' it to turn out more power.
It is rated to tow 5000 lbs with the factory installed tow package. As for off road performance, check out this thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...road-capabilities-of-5th-gen-explorer.444601/
I drive on snowy roads quite often and just leave the Terrain Management System in 'Normal' mode.
There is a Forum 'Search' feature (top right) that can be very helpful in finding threads on different topics. There are several on 'tunes' in the "Modified" thread and a few more on 'towing' and 'off road' in the "Discussion" threads.

Peter

Peter, thanks for your reply...anyone else have any feedback on this? I figured I'd get a ton of stuff from guys who used to own and old one and now own a new one! I know there's a lot of loyal Explorer guys out there!

Best advise, is for you to go test drive the Sport.

I had a 1995 Eddie Bauer Explorer as my first car ever and now I own a 2016 Sport. Explorer has come a long way over that time.

The 3.5L EcoBoost is very strong.

As far as towing, I have no doubt that the listed towing capacity has nothing to do with engine power/torque. I bet the truck tows 5000lbs without breaking a sweat.

Performance wise, you're just going to have to go test drive one. There really is no need for any more power/performance than the Sport will give you. You can run with or beat most other cars on the road in a straight line. If you're traveling 50mph and want to pass, you'll be at 80mph before you know it. Running up and down the mountains from MD to my wife's parents in PA is a breeze. Can cruise at 80-85mph up and down the hills without even causing the truck to downshift.

Just a quick example, on a closed road in Mexico(haha) my father was driving his Jaguar S-Type 4.0 and we happened to end up at a red light side by side. Let's just say it wasn't even close. I let off once we reached the speed limit, but there was a very large gap by 60 mph.

A tune isn't necessary at all, but I still plan to do one because why not! It's definitely a fun truck.

I had a 1995 Eddie Bauer Explorer as my first car ever and now I own a 2016 Sport. Explorer has come a long way over that time.

The 3.5L EcoBoost is very strong.

As far as towing, I have no doubt that the listed towing capacity has nothing to do with engine power/torque. I bet the truck tows 5000lbs without breaking a sweat.

Performance wise, you're just going to have to go test drive one. There really is no need for any more power/performance than the Sport will give you. You can run with or beat most other cars on the road in a straight line. If you're traveling 50mph and want to pass, you'll be at 80mph before you know it. Running up and down the mountains from MD to my wife's parents in PA is a breeze. Can cruise at 80-85mph up and down the hills without even causing the truck to downshift.

Just a quick example, on a closed road in Mexico(haha) my father was driving his Jaguar S-Type 4.0 and we happened to end up at a red light side by side. Let's just say it wasn't even close. I let off once we reached the speed limit, but there was a very large gap by 60 mph.

A tune isn't necessary at all, but I still plan to do one because why not! It's definitely a fun truck.

This is great info! Sounds like a fun drive. I will definitely go out and test drive one...I know the best way to see what I think will be actual seat time! Might help the wife get a little more acquainted with the idea as well!!

This is great info! Sounds like a fun drive. I will definitely go out and test drive one...I know the best way to see what I think will be actual seat time! Might help the wife get a little more acquainted with the idea as well!!
Why not give the Platinum a spin while you're at it? Same engine and a few more features.

Why not give the Platinum a spin while you're at it? Same engine and a few more features.

I don't dislike the Platinum, I just like the look of the Sport much better. I cannot remember at the moment what the Platinum has that the Sport does not, but I don't remember it being anything I really cared about. Plus the Sport is a few thousand cheaper...granted, I guess when you're talking about $40-50k a few extra isn't a big deal, but still...

I don't dislike the Platinum, I just like the look of the Sport much better. I cannot remember at the moment what the Platinum has that the Sport does not, but I don't remember it being anything I really cared about. Plus the Sport is a few thousand cheaper...granted, I guess when you're talking about $40-50k a few extra isn't a big deal, but still...
Yes, you can get the Sport cheaper by selecting packages or things that you want but Platinum comes with most things included like the 401A package and you really cannot choose any options. I know extra is the massage seats, wooden steering wheel, a little better sound system, more luxurious interior and different but the same size rims. I am 35 myself and like the Sport look better.

I chose Sport because I liked all the blacked out parts already as standard, love the black front grill, a little darker tail lights and the back fascia and other things are blacked out. I was in the Sport and parked next to XLT Explorer and mine was sitting about an inch or so lower. I started researching more things after that and found out some of the things that I did not know. It comes with sport tuned, stiffer suspension, bigger brakes then XLT, while the engine is the same as in Platinum, Sport one has it tuned to Sport. Correct me if I am wrong on the last part.

If you can get a good price for a 1 or 2 year old XP Sport, then great. But lets say if you get a used 16 XP sport that has an MSRP of 47K, 20K miles on it and sells for 38K-40K then it is a bad deal and you can knock off 8% off at least from a brand new one with 0 miles and you will be within 1-3K difference.

We got are Platinum last week and we love it. Do what we did an test drive the NA V6 first and the TT V6 second. It is a night and day difference. I was sold.

....... I know extra is the massage seats, wooden steering wheel,.......
Just like the Flintstones car.:D Actually it has a real wood section incorporated into the top part of the steering wheel.

Peter

steering wheel.JPG

The Platinum has a bit more toys than the sport and the power same as the sport and nicer leather. I love it. Being that i always had the Limited if i would have gone with the Sport i would have felt striped...

The Platinum has a bit more toys than the sport and the power same as the sport and nicer leather. I love it. Being that i always had the Limited if i would have gone with the Sport i would have felt striped...

Striped from what? sport tuned suspension or sport tuned transmission?

Stripped from what? sport tuned suspension or sport tuned transmission?

Striped from what? sport tuned suspension or sport tuned transmission?
Both and everything is optional on the sport. I Like all the bells and whistles. Don't take me wrong i like the sport but if you can pay 25 to 30 bucks more per month why not...

Both and everything is optional on the sport. I Like all the bells and whistles. Don't take me wrong i like the sport but if you can pay 25 to 30 bucks more per month why not...

I think you are correct. I was just reading this post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...vs-platinum-suspension-any-difference.442896/
Looks like Sport, Platinum, both have the same sport tuned suspension, steering could be a bit tighter on Sport. More luxury, comfortable seats on Platinum with other luxury things like wooden steering wheel and massage seats as standard but the Sport is more customisable as to Platinum is all included in one price.

I think you are correct. I was just reading this post http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...vs-platinum-suspension-any-difference.442896/
Looks like Sport, Platinum, both have the same sport tuned suspension, steering could be a bit tighter on Sport. More luxury, comfortable seats on Platinum with other luxury things like wooden steering wheel and massage seats as standard but the Sport is more customisable as to Platinum is all included in one price.
Hey look at the end its pleasuring one self... i'm happy your happy That is what its all about... Take care Buddy.. by the way we are neighbors

I believe the Platinum also has Lane Departure warning & active park assist which are not available on the Sport.

I have a 2016 Sport and a 3700 lb, 20' travel trailer. Factory hitch, tow mode and trailer sway control are all part of the package.
My Sport does a great job pulling my TT up and down the hills and mountains of the North East.
Pro: Plenty of power. Very good stability with a load level / sway control hitch.
Con: That stupid, stupid 18.5 gal gas tank. I average 11 MPG pulling the TT, not bad I think, but I have to worry much too much about my next gas stop.
Lots of people over at the Keystone RV owners site said I have to have a pickup. Bull, I like my Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just throwing an idea out there (if it's already been mentioned I looked over it, sorry), but if you're leaning towards a Platinum but like the 'blacked out' look of the Sport and the cost isn't an issue I'd go with the Platinum. You can have the trim (grill, side plates, door handles, back plate, etc) wrapped or painted to give you the 'blacked out' look (see @jonnoriega's ride) and get much the same results. The wheels will be different, sure, but those can be done, too.

Granted, this is all if money isn't a major issue. If they both have the same motor and suspension you can make a Platinum look like a Sport for no more than a couple of grand (if you go all out with new wheels, etc.) But then you have the best of both worlds in more options with the look you want. :)

Back