Explorer Comparison | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Comparison

I believe the Platinum also has Lane Departure warning & active park assist which are not available on the Sport.
It is called Enhanced active park assist w/ pull out assist, perpendicular park and flank guard and second-row with heated outboard seats. The Lane Departure Warning includes Lane Keep Assist. A feature that will, when selected, gently steer/nudge you back into the lane. I have yet to use the perpendicular park since in most such cases I find it quicker to do it myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going to assume you know the new ones are unibody rather than body on frame. One other thing to consider concerns the Ecoboost. There have been issues with the intake valves getting messed up because the fuel is injected after the valve, so it doesn't get cleaned by the injector. However, I just noted that Ford has a new version of the Ecoboost that injects fuel directly to the cylinder, AND before the valve. I presume this will keep the intake valves clean. If I were looking into a new Ford, I'd probably keep my eye on this new Ecoboost.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2016/05/03/EngineInfographic.pdf

I wonder if that engine will be introduced with the redesigned Explorer for 2020? It shows it has the Start/Stop technology as well.

Peter

That engine is available on the 2017 F-150 and is paired with the 10-speed transmission. It is interesting that it is dual direct and port injection. I wonder if the 2nd generation EcoBoost will make it in before the 2020 redesign?

Here are a few articles. 470 lb-ft of torque on an F-150 and apparently the Raptor configuration will be tuned even higher.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...es-for-next-generation-ecoboost-3-5-liter-v-6
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-ford-f-150-35l-v-6-ecoboost-10-speed-first-drive-review

Both and everything is optional on the sport. I Like all the bells and whistles. Don't take me wrong i like the sport but if you can pay 25 to 30 bucks more per month why not...
I am much too cheap to finance a car. I bought a "stripped" Sport because it met my needs and budget.
Extra $25 - $30 here and there and soon you are over your head.
When you have no debt life is easy.

I am much too cheap to finance a car. I bought a "stripped" Sport because it met my needs and budget.
Extra $25 - $30 here and there and soon you are over your head.
When you have no debt life is easy.
Amen to that brother.
Here in Canada, the 401a package is standard, otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy without any of the fancy gadgets.
My daily commute, consists of 5min to drop of the kid at daycare and another 10min to work.
That's barely any road time and just enough to enjoy the 365hp/350tq.

As one who had an 06 V8 that even the V6 (non-turbo) feels really similar to the old V8 since the vehicle is a bit lighter for sure. the EB 3.5 V6 turbo would be much stronger for sure.

Is the internal waterpump an issue to consider when purchasing a 5th generation Explorer?

My wife and I test drove a 2016 Ecoboost F150. I would have to say it felt torquier than the 4.6L V8. Perhaps there's a lot more torque at the high end of the 4.6, I'm not sure. I haven't really pushed it much above 3000rpm. Also, the F150 is a RWD based whereas the Explorer is FWD based. I must admit I was surprised how much torque there was on the 3.5 Ecoboost.

Is the internal waterpump an issue to consider when purchasing a 5th generation Explorer?
It might be something to keep in mind if you plan to keep it a while. Might be worth taking out the Ford ESP then. As for me, I never gave it a thought when I got my 2017. I lease my vehicles and only keep them a maximum of 4 years. Because of the low mileage on them, the dealer is always after them earlier. Never reached the end of my last 2 leases because of that.:)

Peter

I was aware of the issue before we recently purchased our 2017 with the 3.5L EcoBoost. The other issue is the potential coking of the intake valves. Neither were show stoppers for me personally. Regarding the water pump it just didn't seem like there was enough evidence to suggest that it's a widespread problem. The deposit build up on the intake valves seems like a bigger deal to me based on what I've read We will get a Ford ESP pretty soon for piece of mind.

Back