• Register Today It's free!

Complete 01 Parts truck questions

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Long story; I have an 01 Sport Trac... I am the original owner. I relocated from CO to VA and it doesn't pass the strict vehicle inspection here (biggest reason; ball joints, non functional e-brake, exhaust rust through, and a slew of 'minor stuff'... i.e. headlights are hazy, wiper blades needed, headlight replacement, etc... totalling ~ $2-2.5k+ to get it to pass inspection). I have wheeled it a bunch in Moab/CO/AZ/CA... many of the old yearly trips found through this forum. It has sliders (outrigger side-steps), gas tank skid plate, and full brush guard (aged/rusted) It has ~ 136kish on it and otherwise drives fine... body is no accidents (rear ended once damaged rear hitch and spare but frame is fine). Rust is limited to undercarriage and bed is square. So I wondered if anyone has any interest in a parts truck? Or, should I just park it and have it towed -donated to a charity? Tires are 4 years old 265 75 16 General AT II's with ~ 9k miles on them. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where in VA are you?

People love Sport tracs

I could fix that truck up for under $1500 with some new parts and a few trips to the junk yard

It is still worth a little something, anywhere from $800-3000 in its current condition

Thanks for the responses. BoominX; I'm near Sterling (Northern VA).

410Fortune: Yeah, I agree... trouble is it needs tags (hence the inspection) and I unfortunately don't have the time to get it squared away in my garage. :( Not sure if you remember but I've wheeled with you in SW. :)

It's been a great truck to us and if I had the $$ I'd totally fix it and just keep it. Aside from the 8 or 9 relatively minor ($100-150 fixes apiece) it really just needs ball joints-- edit: I just remembered it needs wheel bearings too--. Interesting though; I would have to remove the brush guard cuz it violates some stupid law here (SERIOUSLY?!).

Are you going to part it out?
To be honest..... I don't know. Possibly. (?) I hadn't wanted to initially -mainly I'll have to look into how to vin and carry away the carcass when done. I don't know yet.

Becker69. If you part it out I would be very interested in obtaining the the plastic roof trim piece that is above the rear door opening. the L/H and R/H pieces are held onto the roof via t nuts that I think are accessible when the interior roof liner is dropped down.

Becker69. If you part it out I would be very interested in obtaining the the plastic roof trim piece that is above the rear door opening. the L/H and R/H pieces are held onto the roof via t nuts that I think are accessible when the interior roof liner is dropped down.
I will let you know if I part it out. I'm hoping to keep it together to be honest.

49579387_395131501226618_8402643076949999616_n.jpg
49286294_390706031503906_8034727373691682816_n.jpg

In addition, I have all the side pieces of grey plastic trim (tupperware), clips in my garage. (And probably some of the hardware if I can locate it).

I would love to get the trim, a deer hit the passengers side of mine, and we weren't able to find the rear trim

I would love to get the trim, a deer hit the passengers side of mine, and we weren't able to find the rear trim
I am hoping to sell it complete for $1200 OBO... I will keep you in mind if I'm unsuccessful though.

As far as the brush guard not being legal, I think its the little wires running across in front of the lights. Unbolt that and you should be good with that one thing. Only a few dozen issues to fix and you can keep it.

You have family in Colorado you could register it through?

Back