List of Useful Threads - Complete 2nd Gen A/C Troubleshooting Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Complete 2nd Gen A/C Troubleshooting Thread

01 Explorer Sport...

hey all,

so my a/c hasnt been blowing cold air for quite some time, i bought one of those low side recharge kits and measured out that at around 80 temp im around 45-48psi on the low side. yesterday a buddy of mine that has a manifold gauge added about 1/3 of a can of 134a, problem is the high side psi is only about 75psi. basically we are dropping back to the cutoff at 20 psi on the low and the sensor it turning the compressor off which seems like a low refrigerant problem. now we got to talking and since i have the rear a/c controls as well he found that the system as a whole would take about 5 cans of 134a to be fully charged. i dont want to overcharge obviously and since ford is asking about 800 to fix it i would like to do as much as i can myself safely. we noticed yesterday though that the schraeder valve on the low side might be bad since when we disconnected the manifold gauge got quite a hiss out of it until we reconnected and popped off again.

i would like to fix it up but honestly im not 100% sure what the right way to start is. another good note is that the clutch on the compressor makes a pretty good click these days so that might be going to. great post btw tons of great information! any help would be appreciated..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your vehicle freon specs, if that is a 2001 Sport it does not have extra capacity. The rear seat controls are just that, controls only. That came with all full length consoles from 1995 up.

Have a good AC shop check the freon level, with the gauges, with the engine running. That will tell them and you about how much it may need. If you add freon, both the low and high side pressures will go up. The rating to shoot for is only when running, not off.

thanks Don, it is an 01 sport, i was worried by buddy was off since i hadnt ever heard from anyone else that it had the extra capacity.

do you think from the sounds of things that the compressor is ok..im really hoping it only needs to be charged..ill give a call to my local shop as well and see if they can get me in.

The compressor and clutch usually run fine until the end of their life, then you know it when they die. So likely yours needs just the freon, and to fix any leaks if they are bad enough to warrant it. With the age of the vehicle it's a good time to have it checked with a good detector.

I've searched the forum for days now, but I'm still not sure where to go next. My AC does not blow cold, but everything else works. I got an AC pro kit, and measured the low side pressure, which was only slightly low. I filled it, rechecked, and nothing. Waited a couple days, came back and checked. At 65˚F, the low side pressure was 30 psi, which is what it should be according to the cheapo gauge. I believe I located the compressor clutch, and it was not engaged when set to Max AC. The AC pro kit doesn't come equipped to check the high side pressure, and I don't have a manifold gauge, so I haven't checked that side. Should I force the clutch to engage manually? I'd like to fix this myself if at all possible

Air only blows out of the defrost vent.

AWESOME THREAD! THANK YOU!!

I tracked down the two lines coming from the round, black vacuum reservoir (behind the passenger headlight that's accessible from underneath). One line changed color from black to red and lead to a connection beside the motor (passenger side of the valve cover near the "add engine oil" cap.) After reconnecting, the A/C now flows through ALL vents.

Isn't it nice when it's something simple like this??

EATC suspected

1st post ever here; apologies if not correctly placed. Patience please.

'97 Eddie Bauer; 4.0, auto, with EATC.

Start it up, turn on A/C...blows cool air briefly, then switches to hot.
Self-test returns code 025;
blend door actuator has already been replaced, with correct part.
Sounds like it cycles from one end to the other and back.
Beginning to suspect the EATC controller;
have tried disconnecting the battery for a 'hard' reset.

Is there something I have missed? Thanks.

My 2000 ford ranger limited edition. The a.c. blows but does not get cold, I put one can of ac cooler stuff n it still doesn't get cold . Someone told me it takes 3 cans. At $20 a can I just want to know first, thanks.

Hi there. I´m having a similar problem with my automatic climate control. You turn the AC on and when it wroks, but some times it blows hot air. I´ve noticed that when it does this, it seems to me that both the AC and heater are working at the same time, compressor keeps working, but the hot air prevails.
Blend door seems to be working ok.
I tried de self test and nothing comes out, but I don´t see nothing changing on the display when entering self test mode.
I´ll have to do the hard reset unplugging the battery.
But what I see and hear wrong its a noise inside the dashboard, sounds like a "Clanck" on the center or center right hand, just behind the glove comparment. Right where the blen door is located, to its left, there is a "module" with a plug prong, if disconected the sound stops. Any help on this "module" please, what is for? Can it be bad? Some Suggestions please... TKS.

Hi there. I´m having a similar problem with my automatic climate control. You turn the AC on and when it wroks, but some times it blows hot air. I´ve noticed that when it does this, it seems to me that both the AC and heater are working at the same time, compressor keeps working, but the hot air prevails.
Blend door seems to be working ok.
I tried de self test and nothing comes out, but I don´t see nothing changing on the display when entering self test mode.
I´ll have to do the hard reset unplugging the battery.
But what I see and hear wrong its a noise inside the dashboard, sounds like a "Clanck" on the center or center right hand, just behind the glove comparment. Right where the blen door is located, to its left, there is a "module" with a plug prong, if disconected the sound stops. Any help on this "module" please, what is for? Can it be bad? Some Suggestions please... TKS.

That is definitely your Blend Door Actuator.

Back