How to: - 2nd Gen 4wd Troubleshooting Guide | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen 4wd Troubleshooting Guide

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
97-01 4-door and 96-00 Sports

Step 2) Verify that the front driveshaft turns by hand.

I can`t turn front driveshaft by hand. What the next step I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

preface; 2000 explorer sport...I realize this is an old post, but my question is relevant to this thread. I hope someone is still monitoring it. After reading this, I realized that my original issue is the shift motor since my 4X4 is engaging but will not go into low range. But while reading, it seems to me that there may be a secondary issue. When in neutral (Standard trans) and with the switch on "auto" my drive line does not turn freely. I have had and dealt with many 4X4 over the years and I know that some will and some won't turn freely depending and model and application. But in this thread, "Step 2) Verify that the front driveshaft turns by hand.", mine does not. It is locked/engaged at the T-Case. Is this a T-Case problem or am I reading into it incorrectly?

preface; 2000 explorer sport...I realize this is an old post, but my question is relevant to this thread. I hope someone is still monitoring it. After reading this, I realized that my original issue is the shift motor since my 4X4 is engaging but will not go into low range. But while reading, it seems to me that there may be a secondary issue. When in neutral (Standard trans) and with the switch on "auto" my drive line does not turn freely. I have had and dealt with many 4X4 over the years and I know that some will and some won't turn freely depending and model and application. But in this thread, "Step 2) Verify that the front driveshaft turns by hand.", mine does not. It is locked/engaged at the T-Case. Is this a T-Case problem or am I reading into it incorrectly?

IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR SPECIFIC VEHICLE'S PROBLEM, PLEASE START A NEW THREAD DESCRIBING YOUR TROUBLE. Please limit the discussion here to details specific to this troubleshooting procedure.

:)

Back