• Register Today It's free!

Complete A/c Replacement

EMG7895

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
My a/c hasnt worked for more than a week for the last 3 years and instead of trying to find every leak i want to replace all of the lines to and from the compresor, but i need to know where i can get the lines and how much they will cost. im also buying a new compressor on ebay because the old ones dead. is there anything else in need of things i should look out for(special tools etc.) and about how much will the parts cost

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check with Ford Parts.Net for the hose. You will also need a new reciver/dryer, orifis tube, the proper oil, tools to release the quick connect fittings, the proper equiptment to flush the condenser and evaporator as well as a vacuum pump to evacuate the system once the repairs are complete.

Check the "Useful Threads" forum for stuff on AC

arond how much will all that cost, and i was on auto zones web site and they loan the ac pump out for free through there tool loan program, check it out

before i buy a new compressor is there a way to find out if the old one works?

well ther is two lines coming out of ur ac pump on is high and one is low one should be hot and one should be cold that will tell u if its is circulating and there is another way ther are three main component ton the compresoor for starting and running they ar run start and comon if u give power to start it should turn over or u can take a comdunity test betwen run and comon if there is sonduty that means there is a bad start winding i wish i could help u more but i work on refrigation for a living so i know how to test it but i dont know the info on thos types of compresors

You can remove the old one and bring it to a bench. This compressor is run by the motor through a pulley on a clutch, so it's unlike the compressors that sajnaj is used to, so the electrical description he provides won't be of help unfortunately. There are two ports, a suction port (marked S in the usual case) and aa discharge port (you guessed it, usually marked D) First off is the oily residue in these ports black? If so replace the compressor. Save yourself the headache, it is on its way out. If it's not black, use a socket on the front shaft end and rotate the compressor, it should rotate fairly easily, and not make any grinding noises. Cover the suction with your thumb, do you feel suction there ? If so it may be ok to reuse it. HTH. (Ask youself though how many miles/years are on it, if you are well over 60,000 miles a changeout may be the safest course.)

Cost

I just did what you are talking about doing. Cost is as follows:
Compressor $264 (new FX-15, new clutch...don't rebuild FX-10 they were junk to begin with)
Manifold hose $ 150
Accumulator $45
Adapters $10
R134a $12 for two cans
oil $4 esther (sp?)
orfice valve $7.50
flush $10
Air Free....use compressed air

Be careful when putting the R134a adapters on the manifold hose, it is Al and will break easily.....

adale where did you buy these?

Update: I finally started working on this project and so far I need:
Compressor
New O-rings
Accumlator
Some of the lines
My plan is to take whats new and still in good condition and flush it with achohol, the rest of the stuff will be replaced and then after its all hooked up i plan on bringing the truck to a good local A/C shop and have them pull the vacuum, check for leaks and then fill it.

I just did most of mine last week... black death victim

from pep boys auto.

condensor $100
upper hose $100
Compressor used ebay $60
oriface tube $3 (optional variable$30 )
Accumulator $35
Ester Oil $9

Orings come with the parts so you may be good.. if not add about $8 for an o-ring kit
134 Conversion kits that include oil and gauge are about $30 at murrays auto

I washed out the lower hose with mineral oil then alcohol then dried it out with compressed air.

It was already converted but for the idiots at ford the words "leak" and "rust" have no meaning

Back