• Register Today It's free!

Complete Brake Fluid Swap/Bleed

ZcSpec

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Sport Trac
Has anyone bled their braking system yet or completely swapped out the OEM brake fluid? If so, was there any noticeable difference in brake feel/power. I believe it's a known issue, but the Gen2 brakes feel very soft and require more force than I am use too. I'd like to replace the brake fluid with some Racing Blue that I have laying around.

Yes, and yes it did stiffen things up. I did mine when I had it in my buddies shop and replaced my rad a couple years back. I was almost thinking about doing it again for kicks in the not to distant future. perhaps when I put my winter tires on. Easy quick job.

I completely bled mine as well, did it during a full rotor & pad swap, so can't say if THAT made the difference or not, but the color & smell of the OEM fluid was a little off, kind of a dingy brownish/greenish/yellow, new stuff was nearly clear with a hint of yellow. Replacement fluid was O'Riellys Auto Parts house brand, but if you have racing stuff laying around I'm sure it will be fine. You'll be surprised how much is used though, I used 90% of the big bottle, maybe 32 ounces? Sure I wasted plenty too. When braking fairly hard, my pedal would creak a little, but has not creaked since.

Bled passenger rear first, then drivers rear, moved to passenger front, then drivers front. I think I understand the logic behind this, have read to do it this way a bunch of times, so there must be some merit. Who am I to argue or question.

Thanks for the input. I will be bleeding my system next week once the speedbleeder bolts arrive. You've been a great resource for me Trac Marks.

Back