Found some cool rims.. (American Racing Nitro) (Pics and Stuff) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Found some cool rims.. (American Racing Nitro) (Pics and Stuff)

Metalface

Reaction score
City, State
East Coast US
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
So I kind of got lucky. I wanted a set of these but didn't care if they were aluminum raw or chromed..
I found a set, near me, with tires (that are all taking a massive **** -- tire shop trip tomorrow morning lolol.) that are immaculate, chrome survivors from 2004 or prior if the center cap is anything to go off of.
5 X 4.5, 8" wide 15" rims that had 265/75/15's on them (going back to 31's tomorrow, 265/75/15 works out to about 30.6"). Here's some pics to feast upon. A lot of compliments, people say they match the truck really well and I happen to agree. I knew I'd be unsure until they were actually on it, and now I'm sure. They really do look great!
Bonus is that they work out giving about .4-.5" of offset from the hub, so just a tiny wee bit of poke to even out with the flares on the body. Looks spectacular.

GF insisted on helping (she's my little helper) so enjoy the candid pic of her little thumbs!

Someone on another forum said I'm "driving the cover car for a 2002 JC Whitney catalog" I guess because of all of the accessories hahaha and I think they're pretty right..

For bonus carnage, enjoy the tire and tread separation. One lost air and one separated. I didn't like the tires from the second I saw them but they had tread and I was trying to put off buying a whole new set of tires. No choice now. Date code is 2006... But my BFG A/T KO's were 07 and had no issues at any point, so that's curious huh.
Luckily, I have all the "spares" still in the back (stocks with BFG All Terrains that are 10% tread life left lol.)

Going with some stupid Walmart tires (Goodyear economy AT's that are on rollback/black friday sale - $130/ea at 31x10.5x15) until the body lift, then gonna either sell those or use them as winter tires here and bother to get a nice used set of 33's.

I notice that the BFG All Terrains are tough as nails, is that just me lying to myself? Are they really as good as it seems? That's what I intend to get in 33's as they're ubiquitous this part of the East Coast and it seems like everyone is just trying to get rid of them in favor of 16" rims and tire combos. They seem like they're made really well.

1.jpg

2.jpg

20231109_135310.jpg

First installed, before wash
20231109_135329.jpg

A little dude doing little things
20231111_104111.jpg

This makes it go faster right?
20231111_104113.jpg

20231111_104120.jpg

Also, to top it off, in between all of this happening GF got a NextDoor notification from where we just moved from (3 hours drive away now, in a whole different state,) that her lost cat may have been found (and was.) He was missing for 74 days and he was about 2 miles from where we had been living. We had to make an impromptu drive on those ****ter tires and they did last surprisingly long for being dry rotted ancient pieces of work. I bet they were fine 10 years ago but they're about 20 years old now and it's time for them to die. Last 48 hours has been nuts. Haha

Wow, nobody got hurt right? Then good deal, you found some wheels you liked and found the cat, survived, I call that a win. Now be careful for a while so Murphy's Law doesn't decide to spite you for that luck. I hate old tires, most of mine I wear out fast so I have had few very old to worry about.

Wow, nobody got hurt right? Then good deal, you found some wheels you liked and found the cat, survived, I call that a win. Now be careful for a while so Murphy's Law doesn't decide to spite you for that luck. I hate old tires, most of mine I wear out fast so I have had few very old to worry about.
Nope! Nobody hurt. Pretty much just started seeping air through the cracks, as the cracks opened up every rotation from tire squish (only rated for 35 PSI cold.) No biggie but yeah, I could fit my hand through the hole. LOL.
Went and got some, as others have told me, "good-for-a-year" Wranglers put on cuz they're temporary anyway and they were on sale.. I think that's in the OG post. Went through Wal-Mart because it was the fastest a set could be acquired.
There's a wonderful thing Wal-Mart does: they don't tell you you have to get factory size tires if you want them installed, but will happily allow you to pay for installation per tire while you order your tires. Cute right? So I had to go to a random tire shop nearby the Wal-Mart today that I got the tires from, to get them installed. A wild day was had this morning. The good news: tires are mounted.

I kind of hate how they look, but I kind of like how they look. I guess I'm torn, like the previous set of tires.
I just can't wait to get another recently used set of BFG All Terrains.

4cxp6ikjsxzb1.jpeg

vtkhkb2jsxzb1.jpeg

hr7acpkisxzb1.jpeg

vtkhkb2jsxzb1.jpeg

Back