Complete Cold Air Intake Building Instructions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complete Cold Air Intake Building Instructions

Yeah I apologize Pugh... I didn't mean to steal your idea. I thought it was original but obviously not. Its a little more detailed though ;) ... and its not exactly the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ha ha .. no big thing...

Ok just a couple questions.
I have just a cone filter with the stock air tube and MAF
1) how much will the mustang MAF help. i do not have room for the PVC intake. IF it helps as much as much as just the filter then i will. but if it like buying one of those vortec "spin the air to not help" things then i will not.

Ok just a couple questions.
I have just a cone filter with the stock air tube and MAF
1) how much will the mustang MAF help. i do not have room for the PVC intake. IF it helps as much as much as just the filter then i will. but if it like buying one of those vortec "spin the air to not help" things then i will not.

I havent put the mustang maf on yet but Im sure it will help a lot because I have seen how restrictive the stock maf is. I would pick the mustang maf over the vortec spinny air thing any day.

ok. i went to the junk yard today and there was not mustang or crown vic. but i did find a 5.0 explorer. so i took the airbox apart and lo-and-be-hold there was a MAF that looked just like the mustang one. so i spent about 30 min getting the screws out because i dident have the special torex. Sence i took off the electronics they charged me only $5.50 with a $5.50 core. so i put it on and took back my wimpy 4.0 maf and broke even. now is that a DEAL or what. it does make a small differance in power.

I was thinking. now that i have more air flow wouldent it be a little lean?
AND could i ajust the TPS to make up for it?
Would this give me additional power?
or would i need to just get higher flow injectors

Cool now i get to look for a 5.0 MAF next time im at the yard.

Just to comment, i just got a open element cone filter off ebay and that was the best $21.99 ive spent on the truck yet. What a difference...sounds good and definently a seat of the pants difference! Im very impressed by just that, im gonna be looking to build my own in the future.

Ok i checked my TPS and it has .96 volts. (right whare it should be) in the manual it says you can have anywhare between .5 and 1.5. on the TPS thred it says .96 is ideal. BUT this is ideal for stock air box and MAF should i turn it up to 1.5 so i have the max safe level, or would that be too rich.
Any info helps
thanks

You can adjust the TPS?

yeah you can it is a little bit of a pain but if you can take it off(the screws are locktighted in) and if you know how to use a drill (to make the round holes slots) and you know how to use a multi meeter(to read the voltage of the variable wire) then it is a piece of cake. there are 3 wires; one ground, one power(5 volt) and one variable(idle=.5 volt -1.5 volts WOT=4.5 volts-5 volts

huh cool, thats good stuff.

i just went out there and turned it up .98 volts and it made it idle a little rough but it did help the power a little. i bet this is because the 4.0 maf and air box doesent restrict at an idle but it does at wot. i my theory is that if it is a little rich at idle then at wot it will be about right sence threre is less restiction.

i just went out there and turned it up .98 volts and it made it idle a little rough but it did help the power a little. i bet this is because the 4.0 maf and air box doesent restrict at an idle but it does at wot. i my theory is that if it is a little rich at idle then at wot it will be about right sence threre is less restiction.

If it were me I would dial the TPS back off a little til the idle smoothed out. Compromise. If you are rich when idling your plugs will eventually foul out when you need that WOT.

OK just to help you out. The MAF units purpose it to measure the amount of airflow into the engine so if you increase the airflow it will detect the difference and just adjust fuel and spark for the additional air, no need to adjust the TPS. Also sounds like you got lucky. I have experience tuning maf controlled vehicles and turbo applications. Generally I can swap the electronics from one ford MAF into another without a problem because the electronics are ussually the same, obviously not all are. The real difference between different MAF units is the body not the sensor. So yes you may have increased air flow capacity. Now the reason I say you are lucky is because the computer is programmed to match the MAF sensor and body, so if you change the body ussually there are problems because the sensor will give the computer different values for the same amount of air it did before because more air is flowing into the engine and less of it is actually being metered due to a different MAF body and how the body directs air past the sensor part. ITs hard for me to describe in words but trust me it is true. I have swapped MAF bodies on fords before for bigger ones and the I have always needed to run some sort of MAF signal converter such as an APEXI SAFC controller. I also ussually don't do this except for forced injection where the small MAF realyl becomes a bottle neck.

oil breather filter

oil breather filter

dsc00119kv3.jpg

What size is that oil breather filter? and what is it suppose to do and how do you install it?

Back