Component placement

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
Hi, I am going to be purchasing some components soon and I was wondering about something.... Should I put the speaker into the door and mount the tweeter on the little flat spot above the power window button, OR should I spend an extra hundred bucks and get the kick panels?

Ok now for the back... I plan on putting the speakers in the side panels, but where should I put the tweeter? Would in the rear cargo area near the hatch be a good spot so it doesnt blast the rear passengers?

Ooh and I have a '96 sport if thats of any concern. Thanks for any advice. :D

Having never owned kick panels I shouldn't knock them but I have trouble believing tweeters that low in the door can be better than putting them high on the door panels by the rear view mirror. I want my highs to stay unobstruced to me ears, not aimed at my knees. My tweets are suface mounted where you suggest. If imaging is an issue you slightly balance more to the right. To aim the tweet better using surface mount I used Crayola modeling foam in walmart to make a custom angled base. If you can't get black you can paint it.

My thought on rear tweeter placement is to put them where they sound the best, most likely above the doors near the headliner. My concession to the passangers would be just to fade to the front or put a variable attenuator in line with the tweets only. I have an old second pair of comps but never installed them yet.

Back