Compressor clutch turns off for 6 seconds, then turns back on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Compressor clutch turns off for 6 seconds, then turns back on

ilvny

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
The compressor on my 1997 Explorer sometimes turns off for 6 seconds and turns back on. The weather is cold in my area. I can't use the floor vents because they don't work, so I use defrost or the dashboard vents, mostly defrost for heat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Either your R134 levels are too low or too high.. It uses the refridgerant when you use the defroster so its cycling. Best bet is to get a gauge hooked up to the low pressure port and see if it needs a recharge.

Either your R134 levels are too low or too high.. It uses the refridgerant when you use the defroster so its cycling. Best bet is to get a gauge hooked up to the low pressure port and see if it needs a recharge.

+1. The A/C compressor will run on the DEFROST setting. If you haven't added refrigerant recently, it's probably low. Best way to know for sure is to put a gauge on it, but quick cycling is usually caused by low refrig level.

The compressor should cycle based on evaporator temperature. Being its cold, it will cycle off a bit more then it would in the summer weather.

Are your windows free of any fogging? If so the system s working as it should.

Yes, the windows are free of fog. :)

My windows are free of fog, and I have my a/c compressor disconnected. And I am NOT heating cooled air. It is already cold enough. 14 degrees this morning.

Question? If the system was overcharged, wouldn't the compressor quick cycle (for want of a better term) when the OAT was hotter? I personally vote for low charge. Given the OP had no problem during hot weather, at least none mentioned.

Question? If the system was overcharged, wouldn't the compressor quick cycle (for want of a better term) when the OAT was hotter? I personally vote for low charge. Given the OP had no problem during hot weather, at least none mentioned.

You are correct. But if his LPCS is functional then it wouldn't run at all. Granted there is a bit of wiggle room of pressures; meaning the switch is set a bit lower than needed. We won't know anything until we get pressure readings though.

He could also have a bad switch/sensor.

My windows are free of fog, and I have my a/c compressor disconnected. And I am NOT heating cooled air. It is already cold enough. 14 degrees this morning.

while it is true you don't need to have the A/C running with DEFROST to clear your windows, for those of us that don't live in AZ (where i'm assuming the humidity is on the low side) adding the A/C to defrost will clear your windows 75% faster than the DEFROST/heater alone. especially if your waiting 15 minutes just to get warm water to your heater core. when i lived in the northeast, getting into a ice cold car during a snow storm and exhaling once would fog up the windows so badly you had to use the A/C with the defroster or waste $3 worth of fuel waiting for engine heat. still, if you don't need the A/C it makes sense to unplug it in the winter, but you should run it every now and then to keep the seals oiled.

Which is exactly what I do. And, the humidity gets up to 70% or better when it rains/snows. Many years ago, there was no A/C. Then what did people do?

Which is exactly what I do. And, the humidity gets up to 70% or better when it rains/snows. Many years ago, there was no A/C. Then what did people do?

Many years ago we lived without a lot of stuff we take for granted today. i'm sure you can remember when heaters in cars were an option. you can't O.G. an O.G. lol

Back