• Register Today It's free!

Cone air filter adapter

mdriggan

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Expedition
I am wanting to put a cone air filter on my 97 4.0. Does anyone know where I can get an adapter that would fit without having to modify it in any way? Ive purchased 3 and they are all to small or to big and I dont want to have to drill holes or anything like that. Thanks for the info!

Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've built two adapters for a apc filter that i got for free. i used some 1/8" lucite and a 3" piece of pastic tubing that i just glued together. all for under 6 dollars.

Yeah I already have the filter, I just need the adapter to mount it to the intake. Thanks!

holshotracer said:
i've built two adapters for a apc filter that i got for free. i used some 1/8" lucite and a 3" piece of pastic tubing that i just glued together. all for under 6 dollars.

What type of glue did you use? Regular school glue or super glue?

Thanks

i used hobby grade gap filling super glue. the only problem that i've had with the one is i cracked trying to cut it down for clearce. the tube cracked not the glue joint. the second one i used a plastic travel mug for the tube because the filter is only 2 and 5/8" opening. and it was only $1.99 at walmart. :D

I went to Home Depot to check on that grate that has been used by some people on here. They no longer carry that item. Any other "homebrewed" ideas to try?

Thanks!

MDriggan, I sent you a PM, did you get it?

i tried to find something like the grate to make a adapter but couldn't find anything so i decided to build my own.

holshotracer said:
i tried to find something like the grate to make a adapter but couldn't find anything so i decided to build my own.

Yeah thats what Im thinking I may have to do. I came across a website about some guy who owns an Explorer ( I have no idea how I got to it) and he made one out of a piece of 3" pvc pipe and a dual light switch plate. Im thinking about this idea, but would like to use a metal plate instead of plastic, but cant think of a good way to bond the PVC to the metal. Would silicone sealant do the job? And drilling the 3" hole in the metal plate is going to be a trick too. Maybe a Dremel would be good for this?

Anyway thats some ideas Im kickin around....... :confused:

you could try using a good epoxy or even jb weld. if you start with a big enough piece of metal you could use a jig saw and then use the dremel to smooth out the hole. that or you could try a welding shop that has a plasma cut and have the cut it for you.

Back