Confirm & diagnose my codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confirm & diagnose my codes

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hey guys. If someone gets a chance can you watch this video and confirm my trouble codes? it's a 95 Explorer XLT 6cyl 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7P-H4sdNzc

I started by clearing the codes and drove till the engine light came on (about 10 miles @ 45-50 mph)

First is KOEO.
Then started engine waited for 3 blinks (6Cyl) pressed brake pedal and let the engine go though it's test. Then the KOER codes displayed.

Thanks for your time.

I read:
Insufficient EGR Flow Detected or Insufficient EGR Flow Detected C/R

116 ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts.
172 HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side)

Any ideas what all this points to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read the same:

KOEO 111
CM 332
KOER 116, 172, 332

KOER 116 is often operator error. Was the engine fully warmed up for the test, or had it been sitting long enough to cool off some?
KOER 172 is also often operator error. The O2 sensor must be preheated immediately prior to the test. The combination of these two codes would make me want to repeat the test, being sure to get the engine good and hot before the test.

Which leaves the KOER/CM 332. The most common part to fail, it seems, is the DPFE sensor, but that also usually triggers a KOEO code. Here's what I think I would do:

1) Heat everything up and repeat the KOER test to see if those codes are real or not.
2) Check the vacuum and exhaust lines to the EGR valve/EVR solenoid/DPFE sensor for breaks/cracks/plugs/etc.
3) Check the wiring between the DPFE and the PCM and make sure there is nothing obviously disconnected/broken.

If you haven't found an obvious cause for the EGR code, then it will be time to pull out the manual and the circuit test for a 332. I don't have that manual, but it will likely include checking for 5V Vref at the DPFE, and checking the DPFE signal to see if it is responding correctly. Let's see where that takes you.

Thanks Mr Shorty, very informative.
Yes the truck was likely cooled off. This was the 2nd take. Initially when I ran the test, I got a few codes. it took me 20 min or so (during which the truck was cooling off) to determine most of the codes were User Error..IE I had the a/c defroster on, touched the throttle, did not "goose it" exc.
332 was present both times.

I'll drive it and re run the test again. Would 332 trigger CEL while driving?

Ok re did it. Code 332 is all that is showing Booth koeo and koer. Guess I shoud replace the DPFE sensor?

DPFE is probably the most common part to fail on the EGR system. I personally would probably go through the rest of the circuit and the EGR system (hoses and such) to make sure it isn't something else before replacing the DPFE sensor.

did not see any broken lines

Tried to check the erg solenoid. the red supply vacuum line has plenty of suction. The green line at the EGR valve seams to go from no suction to week and pulsating sporadically when engine is warmed up. Basically, tickled my finger. No where near the amount of suction that's going in the solenoid.

Seams to me that the solenoid is getting the signal to open (so the wiring is alright) but the green line to the egr valve (coming from the solenoid) should feel strong and constant (like the red line) when open?

bad solenoid?

Sounds normal. The computer controls how far the EGR valve opens by regulating the amount of vacuum applied to it. It accomplishes this using a pulse width modulated signal to the EVR solenoid to control how long it is open.

Went ahead and bought the sensor and solenoid.(just to be sure) Got bolth for $90.00

Hopully the CEL should stay off now.

Thanks for all your help.

Cel stayed off 3 months
Now it's back!
335 & 332 KOEO

326 KOEO

Back