• Register Today It's free!

Confirm Timing Chain Rattle

Andiamo

Reaction score
City, State
West Lafayette, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 SOHC XLT 4WD 140K
Can someone help me confirm what I think is timing chain rattle? I can only hear it just above 2500rpm and only with the radio off. It is a faint rattle. It is not the dieseling sound everyone is referring to. Is there a possibility that it could be my the tensioner pulley bearing for the serpentine belt on the front of the engine? It makes that same sound when I spin it.

The truck has 130,000 miles. I have the LH valve cover off and the timing chain tensioner looks really good. Tonight I was even turning the harmonic balancer back and forth looking for slack in the hidden jackshaft chain, but there was almost none. I would have thought that if the jackshaft adjuster had exploded as in some of the pictures, I would have alot more play.

I thought I had a major problem with this slight noise, but now I'm not so sure. Can someone help me? How loud should this noise be?

Thanks guys

I just pulled the actual camshaft tensioner and it seems to have some resistance half way through the spring travel. It feels like metal on metal rubbing. I'm going to get a new one tomorrow. Maybe I don't need to break open the entire front housing and replace everything.

Also, I have a 2001. It was the last 2001 on the dealer lot when we bought it and the 2002's were already on the lot as well. From the looks of the camshaft guides, it appears to be the newest design from the pictures I've seen on this site. Besides normal wear and tear, maybe my engine has the newer hardware in it. I'm wanting to be optimistic here.

Can anyone comment?

I heard some rattling noise btw 30mph to 40mph. One of my friends told me I just needed to get used to it if nothing truns worse.

Back