Confused 4R55E?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
Hey guys,
I've been having tranny issues (4R55E) for a while now on my 99 4.0 Ranger. Changed out VB with a Central VB rebuild that cured my flaring issues completely.

About 50% of the time now, if I put the truck in reverse, and then drive (pulling out of a parking spot for example) the transmission is starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear. It will shift just once, and then the RPM's just climb.

Sooo...I shift the tranny in Neutral, and then back into Drive (while I'm driving) and it's fine.

Kind of like the tranny is confused or something. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably didn't get your DTR sensor back in the right place. Sounds like it is just enough off to mess with the computer.

My bad...it's the 5R55E.

Anyhow, I didn't know I did anything with the DTR sensor (I'm not sure what it stands for but isn't it the sensor that tells the computer what gear the transmission is in?).

Isn't this sensor located on the outside of the tranny? Also, how does it get out of whack? I was thinking that maybe it just needs to be replaced.

OK then...I searched DTR sensor...after doing the VB, I DID do a band adjustment on both bands.

Now I remember pulling that sensor to get it out of the way.

How the heck do you re-align it?

well the way I awlays do it is to mark the sensor before starting the owrk and make sure I move it back to the same place. If you didn't do that, you should be able to see the marks left my the two screws when it was installed originally and then align them back to OEM setting.

Back