Considering a '99 EXP

93 Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer Sport 4.0L
Hi guys,
Anything mechanical to worry about on a '99 with 180k miles? I know, it's 180k miles, but it seems to be well cared for, runs well, trans. shifts good. I'm mainly curious about problem areas to look out for. For example, the first Gens (like my '93) had auto trans issues, etc. Thanks for the input!

Almost forgot...it's a 4.0L w/auto trans, 4wd.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ask for maintenance records and see how it has been cared for and what has been replaced/repaired (i.e. trans fluid replaced how often). Hard to imagine the trans will not need work given the number of miles on it. But, if it has been regularly maintained or even rebuilt that would be a big plus. What about suspension (balljoints, TREs, etc.)? Tires, brakes and shocks? If it is due for a lot of "regular" maintenance that should impact its value (the price you are paying).

The later v6's trannies weren't the best either. i'd pay absolute bottom dollar for it, and wouldn't expect much from it. If it runs a long time, great, but don't buy it on payments.

Thanks for the feedback. I did pass on it, although I do think it was a good buy (sold for $2,300! Ebay 190032145782).

Good god, thats more than the dealer offered me for my 99 sport with 77k miles and in perfect shape. I definitely wouldnt have paid that much for a car with so many miles, and I definitely wouldnt sell mine for 2 grand either...

The SOHC 4.0 has valvetrain issues, they need to be serviced more often than other engines. Look at 98-01 models, they are essentially the same. Choose your colors and features, get the best condition available, not mileage. Good luck,

Back