• Register Today It's free!

Considering a Sport...

tr808

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex Sport
Hey all - long time since I've been here. I previously had an '03 EX Sport (the two door, manual trans!) and I'm now strongly considering the '13 Sport.

FWIW, I'm thinking: EX Sport, 402A, Blk or Wht/Blk, moon, 2nd-row buckets, adapt cruise

A few questions that'd help me out:

1. There are a few within 250mi of me according to dealer inventory; one is exactly what I'm looking for but includes the towing package. Is there any benefit to having that if I don't have a boat? :) For example, do you need to have the tow package to use the bike rack I've seen posted here, or can that attach without it? (I guess I don't know exactly what is in the tow package... is it just electronics or is there some metal involved?)

2. I'm able to get an X-Plan pin. Should I go that route or are people seeing better deals without that pricing?

3. Looks like there are better 3rd party options than the all weather mats, agree?

4. Does anyone have an opinion on splash guards? Great addition or waste of money?

5. Finally, if I do need to place an order, is there any reason why I should wait for a '14 rather than ordering a '13?

Thx!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some of this has been addressed in other threads but I will try and sum it up. '14 have the bucket seats with available center console as many of us have complained about not being an option, myself included. The tow package has the hideaway hitch which I believe will be required to use the rear mounted bike rack. The tow package is good up to 5000lbs. As far as floor mats, many either go with Husky floor mats or Weathertech, there have been and continue to be arguments as to which is better, personal opinion I suppose. The mud flaps are a nice addition for keeping mud, snow, rocks, etc from hitting the side of the vehicle, IMO a worth while addition. Hope this helps.

Tow package also includes trans cooler. Regarding x-plan, I used it, but wonder if I may have been able to have gotten a little lower price through negotiations.

That's helpful, thx. I wouldn't want the console since the whole point (for me) for the buckets is easier pass-thru to the 3rd row when car seats / boosters are installed in the 2nd row.

The sport is a great package... The EX wasn't really on my radar until a friend mentioned it recently - I had been looking at the MDX and the EX is way more bang for your buck!

That's helpful, thx. I wouldn't want the console since the whole point (for me) for the buckets is easier pass-thru to the 3rd row when car seats / boosters are installed in the 2nd row.

The sport is a great package... The EX wasn't really on my radar until a friend mentioned it recently - I had been looking at the MDX and the EX is way more bang for your buck!

We were looking at the MDX before getting the Ex also. Price-wise it was a draw, but the MDX looked more like an "old persons" car according to my wife, and it didn't have the room of the Ex. Either would be a good purchase, but I have no regrets going with the Ex.

We were looking at the MDX before getting the Ex also. Price-wise it was a draw, but the MDX looked more like an "old persons" car according to my wife, and it didn't have the room of the Ex. Either would be a good purchase, but I have no regrets going with the Ex.

We had a 2011 MDX Advance w/intertainment for about 6 months until my wife totaled it. I liked it better than the Ex Sport that we just got, but my wife likes the Ex a lot better. She says it fits us better because we are in our twenties lol and IMO to the op, splash guards would not compliment the Sport's look. In other words YUCK NO splash guards!

Hey tr808, I just took delivery of a '13 Silver Sport 3 days ago (look to the left at the specs) and just love it so far. I just went to test drive it as these have been hard to find, but low and behold when the sales guy called me and said one came in it happened to be (almost) exactly what I wanted. It has the tow package, and I don't have anything to tow! I figured though as my kids get older (7 and 5 now) it would be nice to have the option to tow a camper, or jet skis or whatever else we might get interested in..heck I'm planning to keep this 10 years! I ordered the Ford floor mats and they come in today so i'll give you an opinion later on those. I did get the mud guards and those definitely seem effective. One more thing I ordered after watching my kids climb all over the car was a rear bumper protector. The exposed bumper/paint will likely get thrashed so hopefully this helps. Cars I narrowed it down to was Acadia, MDX, JX. This one kicks a$_ on all those as far as looks (subjective I know), power, and performance. The tech in the MDX is pretty close, the room in the Acadia is superior, but overall this Ex Sport is the total package!! By the way, NO ISSUES with MFT at all. It has all the latest updates and I have used every connection for media except component. The thing is seamless.

^^ I agree with, the mud flaps do what they're supposed to. As far as bumper covers are concerned, I also agree, I decided to go with the BMC cover as it wraps over the bumper providing slightly better coverage than the Ford option. I ordered the Ford all weather mats and the driver's side mat leaves something to be desired as far as coverage goes (there is not mat directly beneath the pedals).

Interesting. Maybe I'll look around for some of those 3rd party options. I forgot to add to the last post that I used an X-Plan PIN. I went though an internet sales guy and let him give me the best deal he could, what ended up being $500 over invoice. Then I sprang the X Plan on him and he was totally cool saying no problem, and at that point he just scrolled down on his computer screen to show me the X-Plan price. I saved $250 from his initial offer.

Tow package also includes trans cooler. Regarding x-plan, I used it, but wonder if I may have been able to have gotten a little lower price through negotiations.

I'm not so sure on this and have never been able to find true clarification on this. The product guide says for the tow package -- engine oil cooler (not included with sport). And the research I've done has shown no difference in the transmission, but claims that it's reprogrammed for different patterns while towing.

Would definitely like to find out more about this myself!

Yes, there is a tow button to activate "tow mode" which adjusts shift points, etc.

Thanks a ton for the replies. I spent some time at a dealership today & drove a limited + an F150 with the ecoboost; not exactly the same as driving the actual Sport, but close enough. ...that EB really hauls, btw!

They're working on transferring one listed in the inventory of a nearby dealer, so hopefully that'll work out. If not I'll probably end up getting on the list of '14 orders.

Yes, there is a tow button to activate "tow mode" which adjusts shift points, etc.
You also get the Trailer Sway control whether you have a tow package or not. I don't see a difference with it ON or OFF although there is one member on here that swears it improved his steering/handling when he turned it ON and he did not have the tow option either.

Peter

If I'm not mistaken, trailer sway control has nothing to do with your steering. From what I understand, trailer sway control (when set on) activates when something such a gust of wind starts jerking your load back and forth. When it activates it applies the brakes of your vehicle to maintain the path in which you are headed. Basically it works like traction control. I've even seen the trailer sway light flash when I have jerked the steering wheel back and forth just joking around. It did nothing with my steering.

Hey all - long time since I've been here. I previously had an '03 EX Sport (the two door, manual trans!) and I'm now strongly considering the '13 Sport.

FWIW, I'm thinking: EX Sport, 402A, Blk or Wht/Blk, moon, 2nd-row buckets, adapt cruise

1. There are a few within 250mi of me according to dealer inventory; one is exactly what I'm looking for but includes the towing package. Is there any benefit to having that if I don't have a boat? :) For example, do you need to have the tow package to use the bike rack I've seen posted here, or can that attach without it? (I guess I don't know exactly what is in the tow package... is it just electronics or is there some metal involved?)

2. I'm able to get an X-Plan pin. Should I go that route or are people seeing better deals without that pricing?

3. Looks like there are better 3rd party options than the all weather mats, agree?

4. Does anyone have an opinion on splash guards? Great addition or waste of money?

5. Finally, if I do need to place an order, is there any reason why I should wait for a '14 rather than ordering a '13?

Thx!

I took delivery of a Sport last Friday. White, Siena insert seating, 2nd row buckets (happy there is no console) panoramic roof, tow package, mudguards, and roof rails. We love it so far. Still only 250 miles of in-town driving. I went with the mudguards to save the lower finish and to help save the Sea Doo's when towing them. I loved the weather techs in my 2012 civic, bought all three rows for the Sport along with the large cargo mat behind the 2nd row. i didn't have an X-plan option. I hassle free negotiated dealer invoice plus whatever incentive I wanted to take. I took the 500 cash and 0%. $650.00 for 5 years.

Eddie

get a Sport. nuff said

Thx!
There are certainly better options than the OEM all-weather mats. Both Husky and Weathertech make LINERS that do a much better job. My preference was the Husky liners because they cover a bit more of the exposed carpet but you can't go wrong with the Weathertech either. Both companies also make a cargo mat which I feel is essential in my case since I don't use the 3rd row seating and carry my dogs back there at times as well as other 'cargo'. I think the Ford OEM is also a good one but it wasn't available when I got my Ex.
The splash guards I think are also a very good option. I had the dealer throw them in and had them installed as part of the deal. They also help in keeping the lift gate area a little cleaner.
If you want the 2nd row console option, you will have to wait for the 2014 model. Other than that you might be able to pick up a 2013 off the lot for a lower price since the dealers will likely be looking to clear them out soon. The only issue by buying off the lot is that it may be difficult to find the exact vehicle you want. I believe that you can still order a '13 for another week or two. The '14 model will begin production in June.
Happy shopping and Happy Easter.

Peter

The sport has adaptive cruise control? I didn't think it was available

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back