Conversion to steering column shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Conversion to steering column shift

SmokeGrinder

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Uber Of All Possible Doom
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 4X4
I have a 98 explorer SOHC, it currently has its automatic tyranny shifter on the front center consol. (under the radio). How easy would it be to convert it to column shift? I’ve heard a few people talk about doing such projects….could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your shifter is on the floor? Do you have a foreign model or something? I know there are a few members on this board who would probably swap you all the parts you need to convert! Black Magic maybe?

yeah i have the UK explorer but i want to change it over....a swap would be cool

It would probably be a bigger project than it seems. Your Explorer is probably right-hand drive, right? You'd probably need a new steering column and do a custom tranny linkage setup. The problem would be the tranny shifter being on the left side of the tranny, while your new shifter would be waaaay to the right. But who knows.. it would be pretty easy. You are right-hand drive, right?! Have any pics of your X?

re:

yeah its right hand drive. I dont have any pics of it, but im going to get some in the next few days so i will show you then :). i think there would be space on the right for it. i mean how long do you think it is?

I just meant with your column shifter being on the right.. and your tranny shifter being on the left.. your linkage would have to route over the top of the tranny somehow. Which is very possible... you'd just need some sort of guides and such. But anything is possible. It just depends on how bad you want it changed! :D

I want it changed real bad! i mean its a must have! im gonna try and read more about doing it

After examining my steering column when I did the heater core, the shifter itself is cable operated so I don't see that as much of a problem.

You'd just need a LHD column shift steering column. should bolt up and wire up like the RHD one. Course I know nothing about how the RHD models are wired but I'm going on the assumption that it's the same.

re

hey thanks! do you have any idea where i might get a shifter from ?

thanks

If your dash setup is like mine then it should be a doodle because even the plastic cover has the hole for the shifter and the dash has the indicator panel.
0004.JPG

Let me know how it goes would be interested myself.

Im sorry but why i mean WHY would you want to go to a cloumn shift. I read that ford had a few problems with converting to RHD i dont know the reason for this but maybe that is why we only get the floor shift with RHD models would the shifter end up on the left with the indicator/wiper switch or the the right with the ignition switch if you go ahead with it tell us how it goes

re

yeah the shifter would be on the right :) i donno why i want it i just do. what i really need to know is where i would get the parts from? if anyone could tell me that it would be great...

yeah the photo above is what my x looks like :)

thanks

tom

Back