How to: - Column shift to console/ floor shift conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Column shift to console/ floor shift conversion

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Reaction score
City, State
Li, Ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 piu interior upgrade
Hey all
I Couldn’t find any info on this so i figured i’d share. Converting to console shift is fairly straightforward with a bit of wiring
After removing the plastic trim on and below the steering column and on the sides of the center console, remove the shifter cable from the shifter assembly and reroute it to the console shifter. it’s the same length and will fit perfectly. To get the cable to lock in place so it moves relative to the shifter and doesn’t just move the entire cable without shifting gear i used a U-bolt next to the bracket on the console
5BC093BF-FE9C-421F-A3A7-9B190811EE54.jpeg
Next there are 4 wires on the column shifter that must be wired to the new shifter. I used t-taps so that if i failed the original wiring was still in place
The four wires on the column shifter are
1 Blk- ground
2 Grn- transmission park detect
3 white (or white brn)- solenoid key lock
4 bu-og - ctrl mod brake shift interlock
65C27C69-EA3D-4331-A768-F592186979BC.jpeg

There are 5 wires on the console shifter that must be wired for this to work properly(there may be more depending on your options mine only had 5)
Blk- ground
Bu- solenoid key lock
Grn- transmission park detect
Brn- ground
Wt- ctrl mod brake shift interlock
(Wire colors are different on the console shifter for different years but you can figure em out by following the wires. Two go to the brake shift lock solenoid on mine they were the white and brown and they can be reversed afaik. The other three go to the park detect switch one being ground (blk) and the other 2 are key lock and transmission park detect (probably also interchangeable).)
Now you need to run wires connecting the corresponding wires
Console 1 to shifter black
Console 2 to shifter blue
Console 3 to shifter green
Console 4 to shifter white
And the brown shifter wire to ground (anywhere)
Now everything should work properly.
If you would like the low gear switch you can just install any momentary switch to the 2 wires that lead to it through the column shifter that’s all.
I believe it’s three T27 bits to remove the column shifter once you’re done with it
Good luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well done!

I have converted a few older rangers and broncos to console shifter… I love them, resting your hand on the shifter just feels proper!

Any pictures with the console shifter? Did you block off the column shifter hole?

I don’t have a picture of it with console shifter it looks just like a regular explorer with console shifter and i didn’t cover the hole for now the rubber thing is still there do it’s kinda covered but i can’t see it from drivers seat so i can’t imagine I’ll spend more than a penny to cover it

I was always curious on how this could be done. Personally, I prefer column shifters. Makes it feel "manly" like a truck. Also makes it super easy to slam into park and get out in a hurry. Same with getting back in and shifting to drive in a hurry (assuming engine is already running). Generally you aren't reaching as far with column shifter. Column shifter makes room for my equipment even though I have a civilian console installed.

I’m looking to do the same to my 2020 PIU but I have no clue how to it since the civilian version works with a rotary shifter. Can you provide some ideas or any thread in here might have discussed it?

I’m looking to do the same to my 2020 PIU but I have no clue how to it since the civilian version works with a rotary shifter. Can you provide some ideas or any thread in here might have discussed it?
2020 FPIU has an actual linkage connected to the shifter and the civilian one has a motor. It would not be possible most likely. If so, it'll be very hard to accomplish. The civilian console does not fit into the dash either on those vehicles in my experience.

2020 FPIU has an actual linkage connected to the shifter and the civilian one has a motor. It would not be possible most likely. If so, it'll be very hard to accomplish. The civilian console does not fit into the dash either on those vehicles in my experience.
Right. I live in Iraq and I found a guy who have done it. He’s a technician. He fitted the console using 3D printed parts and managed to fully convert the shifter but he refused to share the information and asked for a high price for the job. I thought someone may have done it here.

Do you think swap would work on a 2015 PIU?

Do you think swap would work on a 2015 PIU?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I can't say for sure but I don't know why it couldn't be done.

Peter

Back