Convert to F-150 bolt pattern?

the_tool_man

Reaction score
City, State
Spartanburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
Hi all:

I've always wanted to put Lightning wheels on my Ex, but the bolt pattern for Lightnings & F-150's (5x135mm) is different from Explorers (5x114.3mm). I know adapters exist, but I don't want to go that route. I'm just wondering at this point, what if:

1: You swapped front hubs from an F-150 or Expedition onto Explorer spindles. Do they fit? Could they be easily modified to fit? Would the brake caliper fit? Etc...

2: You swapped axles from an F-150 or Expedition into the rear axle tube for an Explorer. I know they both use a 31-spline 8.8, but don't know if the axles are the same length or not. Again, what about the brakes? Etc...

Possible benefits:
Wider selection of wheels with the correct offset
Bigger brakes
Stronger front hubs (presumably)

I've done a bunch of searching and found nothing about this. Has anybody done any investigating? This might not be all that hard to do. Then again, it might be nearly impossible. Still, before I go to the boneyard, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance,
John.

I don't think that the spindles will swap, but I am looking for your spindles. You have the 12" rotors, and I learned that all I need are those 4x4 Sport/Sport Trac spindles.

You might look real hard at modifying the Explorer hub to fit five studs in the other bolt pattern. LOL,
DonW

I had the crazy idea of using the Rancho F150 lift spindles (from the 4WD 4" kit) and making a custom bracket to obtain a 7" suspension lift. Stock F150 spindles are 3" taller than Explorer ones. So they're don't a direct swap unless you want to lift it. However, the ball joints and hubs seem to look the same and should be swapable.

I wonder how close the two hubs are? If the three bolt pattern is the same, maybe they could be swapped. LOL,
DonW

Back