Converting 1998 Explorer Standard Steering Wheel to Later Radio Wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting 1998 Explorer Standard Steering Wheel to Later Radio Wheel

Which steering wheel is better?

• Total voters

Anticitizen1

Reaction score
City, State
Central Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0 XLT
Hello All,

I am contemplating converting my 1998 standard 4-prong steering wheel with only cruise controls over to the later style with Radio and other controls with 2 prongs. I tried searching but only came up with results about converting to a mustang/aftermarket/ranger wheel or repair threads. Has anybody done this? Radio controls would be great but not a dealbreaker, and in your opinion is the 2 prong wheel more comfortable? I just want to ascertain if it is a worthwhile modification. Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wiring is integral to each wheel, and the dash wiring is different for the models with steering wheel controls. I like the two spoke wheel better, but I did convert my 99 Limited to use the four spoke wheel, and I'm going to swap back soon.

You would have to change the clock spring no matter what, they differ for each wheel. be careful with those, spinning the wheel(and CS with it) when the shaft is disconnected will ruin(break) the CS.

I dont know man.I like my stock leather wrapped wheel in my 98.Its very similar to the mustangs steering wheel of the same era.It feels more sporty with 4 points.The 2 point wheel is kinda whats used in the F150 and other trucks of that era.Its just to truckish to me LOL.I am going for a sport suv look tho.

I dont know man.I like my stock leather wrapped wheel in my 98.Its very similar to the mustangs steering wheel of the same era.It feels more sporty with 4 points.The 2 point wheel is kinda whats used in the F150 and other trucks of that era.Its just to truckish to me LOL.I am going for a sport suv look tho.

It's virtually the same wheel as all Town Cars and Crown Vics, GM's, from the mid 90's through about ten years. Other than the hub spline being truck specific, they could swap. I've got the same wheel(look) from a 2004 Marauder, to swap into my 91 Lincoln. I like the steering wheel controls for the radio a bunch, and the AC buttons are handy often too.

I just cant get on board with it man.Its just to Grandpa ish.LOL.I am a sporty kinda guy.I mean hell it already has the mustang 5.0 in it.So i want a steering wheel that looks like a mustangs.Then you got the 8.8 rear that's in the mustang too.Their is so much mustang in these trucks but people just dont see it.

Well the Lincoln(yeah, old man) vibe is me. The Mark VIII steering wheel is the same basic shape, but it doesn't have the control buttons. The Mark VII is my idea of a hot rod, it came with the 302 HO, but it looks more like a muscle car than the Mark VIII or later Lincolns.

I'll sell my extra four spoke wheel too, when I get the other one back in it later on. It's a nice leather one, with very little wear. The CC buttons are broken from my own doing one day.

I went with a 2008 f series wheel it bolted right in, I did have to swap the ignition switch that mounts on collum and swap the plug that controls the horn and Cruse.

I went with a 2008 f series wheel it bolted right in, I did have to swap the ignition switch that mounts on collum and swap the plug that controls the horn and Cruse.
Nice! Pics?

Back