Converting a 2001 sport 2WD to a 4X4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting a 2001 sport 2WD to a 4X4

Davecrawley

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sports and others
I have a 2001 explorer sport 2WD. I also have a 94 explorer 4 WD which is destined for the junk yard. My 2001 explorer sport is an automatic as is the one that is destined for the junk yard.

If pigs could fly and I could eat ice cream every-day and not get fat, I'd like to convert my 2001 explorer sport 2WD in to a 4X4. The toughest part of this, I understand, is getting the parts. Are there any components from my 94 explorer that I can use for this purpose or is everything totally different?

if the 01 is ohv, and you could work out the transfercase shifter... this might work

V6 experts ring in, I'm only guessing if the engines were both OHV he should be able to bolt it on but the shifter is a whole 'nother box of worms not to mention if ford made a revision im un aware of

oh an you need the front axle off a 4wd, and a set of driveshafts

About the only thing you could pilfer off the 94 would be the manual t-case. The rest of the front half of the driveline (i.e. axle, driveshafts, knuckles, brake parts, halfshafts, and shocks) would all have to come from a 4x4.

Back