• Register Today It's free!

Coolant disappearing

rodb

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Have to add coolant to reservoir every couple hundred miles. Pressure tested radiator and cap, all ok. No visible leaks, no smell inside cab. exhaust has no order, I even tasted drip out of exhaust when cold, no antifreeze taste. Radiator is new, water pump and new gasket on timing cover, new 190 thermostat, new 13 lb. cap. Engine runs great. No overheating. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

now a compression test should be done and verify there is no coolant on the spark plugs or in the oil.

If you pressure tested the cooling system properly and it checked out, you would not have a leak... try dye and uv lamp.

I found a leak in a car once that had me stumped. Ended up letting it warm up in the driveway with the hood open, looking at everything and waiting for coolant. Turned out that a hose had a pinhole leak. I would do the same.

Pressurized system to 20 lbs., no leaks, no coolant in oil either. Will try to borrow compression tester next.

maybe it is one of those cold leaks where it only leaks when the engine is cold and stops when it warms up. we know it is leaking somewhere. check around the water pump also. It seems to be common to leak a little around it. Have you left the system pressurized for an extended period? surely it will leak down past the tester seals over time, but maybe try re-pressurizing it every hour or so and rechecking for visible leaks. peel your carpet back on the passenger floor board, maybe you find some coolant.

Indeed, if you have a leak it's going somewhere. If you are certain it's not leaking into cylinders then it's got to be leaking past a seal, gasket or fitting once full warm. OneofMany is on the right track...

More than likely going out the exhaust. If not a blown head gasket, probably the lower intake manifold.

Water is clear at exhaust, I even tasted it, no antifreeze.

I had a slight leak in the ends of the plastic cover of the radiator that I couldn't find for many months. I finally found it when the vehicle was warmed up and a little low on coolant.

I had a slight leak in the ends of the plastic cover of the radiator that I couldn't find for many months. I finally found it when the vehicle was warmed up and a little low on coolant.

True, our radiators are plastic on the ends and they can leak there.

Radiator is two months old, no drips no leaks.

Is there an overflow tank? Clutch fan ok? There may not be a problem on the pressurized side.

Is it possible the system was not fully purged of air? I suppose this isn't the problem if you still continue to have to add fluid.

Mine leaks coolant on top of the intake, not enough to cause a drip.

It evaporates before running off.

Looses about half gallon per week.

I looked everywhere around manifold and engine with bright light, can't seem to find any leaks, so frustrating.

I've used the UV chemical a couple of times with good results. I treated the crimped sides of the last two plastic side radiators I purchased with a couple layers of Ultra Black before installing them and have yet to see a problem. However, I'm holding an all-aluminum replacement for the next time one fails.

As a last resort I put in Bar's original formula radiator stop leak, going on a week now with no coolant missing. Time will tell

Next time you change your oil, send it off to Blackstone for oil analysis. Their report will show the % of coolant.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back