• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak (annoying)

gottraction?

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Ok so i had a check engine light on in my 1998 Ford Explorer sport! sohv v6 auto. took it to advnace auto parts and it pulled 02 sensor codes. I replaced all of those! (which where a bia!!) during the install i had to basically lay on top of the engine to get the the top connectors behind the engine. After i finished the install i checked the coolant and filled it up. Next thing i know i test drive the truck to the store and I noticed its leaking coolant from around the middle of the engine bay. (Truck never overheated). Both radiator hoses looks secured. its coming from somewhere else. Could i hit something during the install? What all sections could leak coolant on this engine besides the thermostat area,radiator and radiator hoses? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it didnt seem to be coming from the thermostat. could it leak anywhere else?

Very high failure rate on the plastic lower thermostat housings, OHV or SOHC.
They literally come apart at the seams, or the threaded sensors leak.
Call around, and rent a coolant pressure test kit with a refundable deposit,
available from most auto parts chain stores. Guaranteed way to find the leak. GL

Ok so i had a check engine light on in my 1998 Ford Explorer sport! sohv v6 auto. took it to advnace auto parts and it pulled 02 sensor codes. I replaced all of those! (which where a bia!!) during the install i had to basically lay on top of the engine to get the the top connectors behind the engine. After i finished the install i checked the coolant and filled it up. Next thing i know i test drive the truck to the store and I noticed its leaking coolant from around the middle of the engine bay. (Truck never overheated). Both radiator hoses looks secured. its coming from somewhere else. Could i hit something during the install? What all sections could leak coolant on this engine besides the thermostat area,radiator and radiator hoses? Thanks
Check heater hoses. It could have been leaking for a while, and you just noticed it. Look for dripping from the heads and intake manifold too.

ok well i tried to shine some light where the thermostat sits and it looks like i could see a tiny amount of water sitting back in there somewhere. so mayube the lower housing part is cracked. it doesnt leak i notice with it idling really. but when i start giving it gas it starts leaking and dropping around the rear of the engine by the oil pan

Back