coolant leak - Emergency!!!Daily driver | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coolant leak - Emergency!!!Daily driver

The XHunter

Reaction score
City, State
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
I have a coolant leak somewhere on top of the engine. I have removed the a/c compressor and power steering pump.checked out the freeze plug on the drivers side and replaced the thermostat/gasket. still have a very bad leak. Even when the engine is not running. If I fill the radiator with coolant , it will pour out from somewhere on top of the engine. Anyone have an idea of what to look for and what I will need to fix it? This is my daily driver and I really need it back on the road. Thankx for any quick replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Willing to bet its the thermostate seal mate sorry- buut I did one once and it never seated right and leaked just like you say! you will have to do that again and this tie use a sealant also..the seal is reliant on compression from the screws and its pants less you are really careful and torque it just so!

Welcome to the forum!

You could have a cracked t-stat housing. Sometimes they crack around the bolt holes, maybe other places.

Best thing would be to try a pressure test, rather than guessing.

Hope this helps.

Mike

It is definately not coming from the thermostat. It is coming from top of the engine somwhere. Maybe intake manifold? some on the forum have had similar symptoms to what I have. not sure though. How difficult to replace the intake gaskets?

it could be comming from the lower intake an head.
removing the the intake isnt hard. just a lil time commsuming, cause of everything around it . gaskets is about $40.

thanks fordnut71. I think it is the intake gaskets. I priced them today here in Grande Prairie Alberta from NAPA auto parts. highway robbery of course around $75. I will get to it this weekend, if you think of anything else I might need for this repair let me know. I would appreciate it.

make sure you got the disconnect tools for the fuel lines.also get some black silcone for the front an back of the block for between the heads. make sure you get a good quality gasket. me personally i use felpro as they have a gasket sealer made in.
shop around napa isnt the best price to buy from, i buy from a local jobber who has good prices an good service.

try a CSK. or if you have a friend who owns his own shop see if he will buy it for you and you pay him for the part. and things needed. if he will it will be cheaper for you. hell order it online is cheaper than 75$

hmmm $75 is in canadian prices. we dont have csk here,were so called lucky to have napa for some unknow stupid reason. (no i dont like napa) next best thing we got to a csk is canadian tire ( or crappy tire as we call it)if you can get a teenager out from behind the lunch room door.

hmmm $75 is in canadian prices. we dont have csk here,were so called lucky to have napa for some unknow stupid reason. (no i dont like napa) next best thing we got to a csk is canadian tire ( or crappy tire as we call it)if you can get a teenager out from behind the lunch room door.

damn that sucks try ordering online.

then you have duty an freight charges so most times its not cheaper.

I guess then Crappy Tire is the same everywhere.-bunch of kids who don't know their head from their a$$. There are a couple of places I can check for prices. But NAPA has it in stock. thanks for the tip on getting the disconnect tool, I will pick it up when I get the gaskets.

princess auto has the fuel line disconnects cheap, so you might wana drop by 1 of them if you have 1 close by. like 10-15bux

So guys... I pulled off my lower intake today. Found the leak right away. The lower intake gasket was blown apart on the drivers side near the front, where it is supposed to seal the water port.

mine has been leaking there all year long ....need to get it fixed but it's been a steady issue ....goes through a little coolant every few weeks or so .bad design flaw

Back