Coolant leak, head gasket?

RaveDigger

Reaction score
City, State
Groton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 5 speed manual
4.0L OHV engine

I've been losing coolant for a while, and just today I saw where it was coming from. It appears to be pooling on the engine mount right in front of the oil filter. Can a failed head gasket cause coolant to leak outside the engine? My buddy seems to think it's coming from where the exhaust comes out of the engine, but it's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. Any thoughts? Should I try some stop-leak stuff?

The loss of coolant seems to be increased when I'm running the heat. I've noticed this recently because it's started to get a bit chilly in MA. Is it possible that coolant could leak on the passenger side of the engine from a hose between the engine and the heater core? Is there even a hose between the engine and the heater core?

I think I have the same problem, looks like its on the pside of engine domewhere above oil filter. Any input from anyone would be great! Right now its slow. Just noticed today while checking what the whurrring sound was coming from the manual tranny in 1st and second.

I did a little more investigating and it turns out my slow leak is coming from underneath the passenger spark plug closest to the firewall, i belive cylndar 3. It is a circular plug that is the source of te leak. Any ideas i think freeze plug is what they are called.

Back