Coolant leak! Where is it coming from? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak! Where is it coming from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome! Thanks I appreciate the info. Have a good one!

When mine went in my Mustang at160k miles, I replaced it with plastic OEM one.
It’s doing ok so far but I don’t drive it in the winter any more.

I wish I had known about the aluminum part, some of the Ford plastic cooling parts are sub par in my experience. Intakes etc cracking leaking coolant.

OP the reason you can’t find the leak is because the coolant drips everywhere because of the location so it’s hard to pinpoint. Took me a little bit to find it.
Pressure test will show it though

^ True dat. If you don't want to borrow a coolant pressure test kit or use the UV dye to detect leaks, use a small mirror and a strong flashlight looking closely at the rear of the lower housing. Telltale signs of leaking are usually stains that appear to be a dried white residue. If smoke is coming from the rear of the engine and you're smelling burning oil it's probably coolant mixing with oil from the intake valley that's dripping on the hot exhaust manifold. Not to get off topic, but this engine is also known to have issues with valve cover gasket and PCV valve leaks at the rear of the engine. Valve cover gasket R&R is not too difficult, but requires many parts to be loosened or removed, and is somewhat time consuming.

^^^ good info thanks

Thanks for all the great info guys! I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'll see if I can borrow a pressure tester and good idea about the light and mirror

Back