Coolant Leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Leak

I had a mechanic do a pressure test on the system yesterday, and he TRIED to make it leak. And couldn't. And, it is still not leaking again. Very, very strange.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

93 XLT 4.0 Coolant leak

Sorry to bring an old post back from the dead, but I'm having a very similar issue except that it is a consistant leak. Tmosesjr, did you ever get it fully repaired and if so, what was the fix?

Here's my story...after parking one night and getting out of the vehicle I smelled coolant a heard hissing coming from the engine area. Looked under the engine and noticed a stream of coolant flowing out and large pool on the ground. After the engine cooled I topped off with water and was able to drive home.
I pressure checked the system and found that a hissing sound was coming from the thermostat housing area more on the drivers side. I've replaced the thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and water pump gasket. I inspected the thermo housing, heater hoses and temperature sensor, all look good. After putting everything back together today I filled with water and was going to pressure check again but water was flowing out still. Its coming from the drivers side of the engine where the screwdriver is inserted (see photos). I have no idea what else to look at other that head gasket or intake gaskets. Thanks for your help.

Photos

I'm having trouble posting the photos right now because the computer I'm on. I'll get the photos up as soon as I can.

Ok, here's my standard leak check list.

Hose1: top of radiator to thermostat.

Hose2: bottom of radiator to water pump.

Hose3: this one is often overlooked. it's about a 3/4 inch diameter hose near the thermo housing/water pump.

Hose4 &5: Heater core hoses.

Freeze Out Plugs: Leaky plugs can be tough to find since they are usually buried by some other component like exhaust manifolds. They first develop pin holes and can leak fluid in places where the fluid evaporates leaving no trail.

As a last resort, you can purchase an inexpensive leak detection system which consists of a fluid that's added to the coolant that illuminates under a UV light. Kit includes everything you need. But I don't think you will need this since you can see and hear your leak. My first bet would be that 3/4 inch hose I mentioned above and next I would suspect a freeze out plug. Hope this helps.

Might be best if you repost all of this in a separate thread. Good Luck!!!

Leak fixed!

So thanks to this forum, I was able to diagnose and fix my vehicle. THANK YOU! Sorry I wasn't able to chronicle my progress as it happened but I can post the photos now. It ended up being the lower intake gasket.

Zoomed in to show where the leak was coming from. This is the driver's side.
20140206_111948.jpg

Zoomed out
20140206_111958.jpg

Zoomed out further
20140206_112006.jpg

FOUND THE PROBLEM!
20140209_161347.jpg

Gasket off the engine
20140209_162831.jpg

Bonus photo...teaching him early
20140109_090030.jpg

Back