• Register Today It's free!

Coolant question

alaskan-xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Juneau, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
Hi guys, I had a question on what I hope is just a coolant leak. I have a 93 xplorer with around 120,000 miles on it. The truck was very well taken care of by the previous owner and is in immaculate shape. At 100,000 miles, it had a head gasket job done as well as new cylinder heads. The truck runs fine, but off late I've been loosing coolant from the reservoir. I fill it up till the cold fill line and within a couple of days of driving, the reservoir is empty. I've even filled the reservoir and the radiator itself, but the level is still going down. I've not noticed any puddles underneath the engine. I was wondering if that means I've merely got a small leak I'm not noticing or if this means I need another head gasket job (HOPE NOT!!!). My old bronco needed new head gaskets, but that was clearly visible by dripping under the engine as well as smoke from the engine when the leaking coolant hit the exhaust manifold, but none of that is happening in my explorer. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first leak was at a freeze plug. Was a pain to get to to replace it. First used a rubber expandable plug, and it blew out after about a week. After replacing the plug, I made sure to use distilled water to mix with the anti-freeze.

I have the exact same leak and mileage on a 93

My 93 Limited also head a head job done at around 100k, I now have 123k and have a small coolant leak in the upper freeze plug above the exhaust kind of in front of the trans dipstick tube. Wondering the best way to repair. I pressure tested my cooling system and also found a small leak in the radiator seam. Would a radiator shop be able to repair both, any estimates on price I'm in Northern CA. Thanks

Mark

alaskan-xplorer said:
I've not noticed any puddles underneath the engine. .

Check your oil! if your oil is milky looking the coolant may be getting into the oil and this is why you don't notice any puddles. If it is getting in the oil it is a problem with the head(s)

I have a coolant question too. We've had quite a temperature drop around the northeast lately, so I decided to check the antifreeze on the 91 4.0l that I just bought. when I opened the radiator it was low so I added about a half gallon of antifreeze. When the level reached the top, I could see that the coolant looks like chocolate milk. I checked the oil and it looks ok. Does this just need a flush or isi it indicating something else?

Grovebaby
I would definetely flush it, if there is a problem that same situation will repeat itself and the coolant will turn back to chocolate milk. Change the oil also. When I acquired my x I changed all the fluids once I got it home, just so I had a starting point to help diagnose any problems that might occur.

Yeah I will. I won't be able to until it warms up a little, unless I just drain it and run some flush through. Maybe if I rinse it a couple of times with water after some flush liquid. So freakin cold here. If there is an anomaly, I'm afraid it won't show up fast enough because I can still give it back to the brother inlaw now. I've just never seen rusty water like this before. It couldn't even see the pointer on my tester. Can coolant get this rusty?

Back