• Register Today It's free!

Coolant smell

walkman50

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
I have a hot coolant smell for a few minutes after I turn off my engine (v6). There are no visible leaks of any fluids and the coolant level in the overflow tank has not changed. This has been noticeable for several weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a flashlight and shine it down slightly behind the upper radiator hose thermostat housing area. I’ll bet you have a few drips of coolant leaking onto the top of the intake manifold Where it will stay hot causing the smell but no drips on the ground

Check your overflow hose. Might not be sealing well anymore.

Get a flashlight and shine it down slightly behind the upper radiator hose thermostat housing area. I’ll bet you have a few drips of coolant leaking onto the top of the intake manifold Where it will stay hot causing the smell but no drips on the ground
I did not see any visible drips or evidence of dried coolant in the thermostat area. I think a pressure test may be needed, although I am not loosing any noticeable amount of coolant.

hope the manifold did not crack.

I did not see any visible drips or evidence of dried coolant in the thermostat area. I think a pressure test may be needed, although I am not loosing any noticeable amount of coolant.

Do you see any around the radiator cap on the top of the radiator?

If you can smell it its probably sitting down in the valley. The plastic thermostat housings crack along the seam and piss water back under the intake where it sits until it evaporates. There is no water in the plastic intake on the 4.0l. the rad tanks also like to leak, and it sits on the cross member until you hit the highway. This doesn't smell unless it hits the exhaust on the way by though.

If you have the Premier with rear heat, the Y connector going to the rear may be cracked. That's where my small leak was.

My mechanic performed a pressure test and found a leak at the rear heater hose fitting by the rear wheel well. The coolant was dripping down onto the exhaust pipe.

Back