Cooling system SNAFU

YBCold

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ×∟┬
right so just recently i reinstalled a water pump, and a new MotoRad failsafe thermostat.

i did system flush. today i opened up the radiator and noticed it was missing coolant. so i topped off. it seems to be leaking into somewhere. but my exhuast doesnt smell like coolant and no "milk Shake" in the oil either

The Heater hose that has the T is now pulsing. and the hotter the engine gets the stronger the pulses also sounds like the thermostat is ticking loudly. I still have the T there. is it ok?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you had the system open (when you put in the t-stat /water pump), it probably got air in it. There may still be some trapped in the system. As it work its way out, the volume within the system that air occupied now get filled with coolant, lowering the level. If you're sure there are no external leaks, then just keep checking/topping off the system for a couple days. After several heat/cool drive cycles, the level should stabilze. If not, then I would start looking for a problem.

This is providing you don't have a leak, like already said above. The pulsing you're describing is usually air trapped in the system, again like stated above. You might need to burp the system. If your thermostat doesn't have it, you can drill a small purge hole in the thin, flat part of it. (approx. 3/32" dia). This will help get air out even when the thermostat is closed.

k ill try to burp my system again. and ill get a better funel. it seems like i have a mystery leak somewhere thouugh. my coolant level keeps dropping but no where for it to go. i had a small leak at one bolt for my water pump and another at the heater hose there. but it seems to have gone away. after i retorqued my hose clamp and the screw

try parking with the nose of the truck up on a hill and re-try burpping the system while trying to put more coolant in the rad ...this will help with air being trapped and also the heater core area .

Thanks ima try that. i re - read Doonzes rad. flush and ive decided ima walk around the corner and get a Rad. Funel at the Zone, The Auto zone . and some more coolant . and a new heater hose. just in case its somehow related to the T.

Back