Correct fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Correct fluid

Pitt7542

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt uQ
Hi guys I have a 1999 ford explorer 4wd and was just trying to confirm the correct transmission fluid it's an automatic and I am talking the gearbox trying to find it here but can't. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a 5R55E auto trans which requires Mercon V ATF. Not regular Mercon or Mercon SP, but Mercon V.

Just rang the ford dealer and they charge $30 per litre
Holy crap that's for the mercon v is there any other substitute that people are using.
Penrite have an oil for the 99 explorer ???

You should be able to get Mercon V fluid at an auto parts store or any place that sells motor oil/ATF. Just be sure it's not regular old Mercon, and has a V after Mercon on the bottle. It's pretty common stuff and Ford uses it worldwide. Any major aftermarket brand will do, the stuff from the dealer is almost always more expensive.

Thanks there have gone with the penrite still 170 dollars for 12 litres, the mercon v still costs a fortune from an aftermarket place also,$300 for 20ltr drum all sorted now though. The fluid I ended up getting was penrite ATF-FM5.still as dear as poison but acceptable,
Cheers

Back