Could some please explain the rangers engines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Could some please explain the rangers engines

Nick K

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport 4X4
Could some one please explain me the rangers engine options. My freind has a 98 ranger 4x4 4.0 V6 and he says it puts out 207 in HP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is probably his horsepower at the crank. That is what manufacturers talk about in their commercials. The horsepower at the wheels is different, you get this from a dyno. A stock 1997 4.0 put out 119.3 and with the addition of a bbk super charger, throtle body and headers, the truck dyno'd at 164.1 horses. With the major changes done to the truck in '98, they also changed the engine, I think to sohc. I think they are more powerful, but not over 200. The other optional engines are the 3.0L v6 and the 4 banger wich is...2.4L(?) Hope it helps, if u were looking for something else just put up another post. Does your friend have a lot of mods to his engine? Did he have it dyno'd or did he get the numbers from the manual?

No mods I was just wondering because it look liked my OHV. but his ranger is fast!! HE HAS A 5 SPEED AUTOMATIC i didn't believe it my self until I read the sticker

The SOHC 4.0 did not come out (in the U.S.) in the Ranger until 2001, w a HP rating of 207. The 98 4.0 (unless it is different in Canada) should have a HP rating of 160.

I have a 2001 4.0 and it has SOHC under the hood.

Hope that helps!

His truck probably does seem fast, but keep in mind that it also wieghs less than your X. That's just my 2 cents anyway.

Back