Cowl hood | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cowl hood

well said chris!!
the problem with getting aftermarket stuff is not many companys out there make stuff for the older x's
not as much as say s-10s or heeps!
so most people custom make what they need

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A nice fiberglass hood is always a good thing just cause its lighter, the people you're talking about getting hoods from are small brand people... they're gonna make lower quality just because they don't got the expeirence, tools, and machines to do it right. there are people that do it right, but it comes at a cost i'd suggest looking at harwood, Lund, or Keystone.

Hell keystone makes a shaker hood for explorers but it looks like it only fits sport tracs

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KRE%2DGHF%2D300&N=700+4294908331+4294907830+4294924653+4294922838+115&autoview=sku

Harwood is the same company as up22.com which has been said to be crap.

up22.com but the hood is pretty much custom cus it fit like a$$
so my boss and i redid the whole hood extended both sides and cut from the front and reshaped the front
nightmare!!

Dood Perry's Fab & Fiber make great hoods & and fiberglass products, they specialize in ford stuff. They have been racing and building there own stuff for years. Harwood, Lund, and Keystone basically make hoods for the drag, and ricer community. Please check out there website before you make such bold statements witch you know nothing about!

www.mcneilracinginc.com

first off i was talking about the EE one, that has been said to crack a part and such, i've never heard of perry's i'm kinda new to trucks. i've been building older cars for a while, i've used harwood and keystone all were great products. Lund makes tons of parts for trucks actualy, just not all the hoods. To tell the truth there used to be alot more parts made for these trucks but they're rather discontinued. and when i can't find what i want i make it
(dead links)

or you can make a custom hood all your own.

Mine is from a 88 Thunderbird SC coupe

100_0843.jpg

thats the best way 2 do it^^^^

Ok well I am starting to think that im not going to beable to get a cowl unless I get a custom one. On ebay I found a stock hood cheap. I was wondering if I could just buy a cowl part and bond or rivet it on the stock steel hood? Would I be very hard. I have done a little bondo work before. Also what size would I need. Gluvesave35's is a little to short and pughman's is just a little to tall. How long and wide would I need it?

Thanks
Kevin

mine is 2 3/4 high and pughs is i think like 4 or 5 high
so do like 3 high and ur preference width

How long?

Oh you are probabally going to need it for a long time I think....

I started a thread about getting a cowl hood a few months back. I personally went to UP22 (Unlimited Products) and took a look at the hood myself. I thought they were well made. I didn't get to fit it on my truck, but other than that, I think they are well made. I posted a couple pictures of the hood on there. Here's the link.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181242

While I don't know the quality but www.up22.com have fiberglass cowl hoods up to 9"

Tim

Oh you are probabally going to need it for a long time I think....
I ment how long of a cowl.

I started a thread about getting a cowl hood a few months back. I personally went to UP22 (Unlimited Products) and took a look at the hood myself. I thought they were well made. I didn't get to fit it on my truck, but other than that, I think they are well made. I posted a couple pictures of the hood on there. Here's the link.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181242

I think the quality my be good but it doesnt fit the explorers because it is made for rangers.

from top of the hood to the bottom tapering down
thats wut mine and most other cowls are!

and wide is just preference

I think the quality my be good but it doesnt fit the explorers because it is made for rangers.

That hood is also made to fit explorers. From certain years, both hoods are the same size. I know it will fit my '97 Sport so Whichever other years are the same, it should fit them too. The only thing is that it has the Ranger design, not the Explorer design, but same size.

That hood is also made to fit explorers. From certain years, both hoods are the same size. I know it will fit my '97 Sport so Whichever other years are the same, it should fit them too. The only thing is that it has the Ranger design, not the Explorer design, but same size.

ok so since i have the up22 hood u should all listen to wut i have to say
(dead links)
the side circled in yellow at to be xtended about 2" on each side cus the gap was huge(on both sides) had to raise the fender hight with so that the hood meet even with the fenders
the red area was cut about 1 3/4 b/c it over hung
the only gap that fit right was the rear one
o0o and another thing i had to replace the left hood bracket with a stock right hood bracket cus the holes did not line up

THIS HOOD IS FAR FROM A BOLT ON AND GO HOOD!!!!

second this hood was not a functional hood i made it functional

hope that helps

DAMN!!! That's good info. I'll make sure to take my truck out there and try the hood on before I actually purchase it to make sure it fits just right. Thanks for the post.

Back