cracked cylinder heads (cologne v6) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cracked cylinder heads (cologne v6)

postquantum

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
I bought a 2000 explorer xls (4.0l v6) with a blown head gasket. at least, thats what the mechanic's diagnosis was. So i took it all apart down to the head gasket, and took the cylinder heads to be shaved. Turns out the cylinder heads were both cracked along the mounting holes and in one of the ports. So should i rip the whole block out to see if it is cracked or am i safe to assume it isn't?

freeze plugs

I have no first hand experience with the OHV V6 but according to posts from other members it is not too uncommon for the engine to overheat and blow head gaskets and/or crack the heads. I suggest checking the freeze plugs in case the damage was due to inadequate antifreeze. I don't remember any posts about the block being cracked from overheating.

I know a company makes some aftemarket ones with better rockers, but I'm not sure where to find them. I would just wait for another response unless you really need to fix it asap.

Back