Cracking paint on roof rain gutter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracking paint on roof rain gutter

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
Has anyone else experienced cracking paint in the rain gutters on the roof near the front of the vehicle? While cleaning our Explorer over the weekend I noticed there are some small cracks appearing in the paint here, and if I run my finger down the channel I can feel some bumps.

What worries me is that we had a 2000 F150 that experienced paint cracking in the same area, and ended up causing the roof to look an absolute mess. I am assuming from water getting under the paint/clearcoat causing rust issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? what can be done about it? It's annoying to see the same issue on both the 2000 and the 2008 in the same location.

Thanks.

Edit: Well it looks like a large number of Ford's suffer from this same problem, F150's, 250's, Explorers, Bronco's etc. So far it appears the only fix is repainting the roof, hoping to find something to rectify the small cracks on the Explorer before they get worse and a roof repaint is required.

Fill the cracks with touch up paint.

I happened to look down on my 06 by chance a couple years ago to notice a patch of paint missing. Paint was pealing up like it wasn't even attached, big chips could be taken off with ease.

After some talking with the dealer and Ford, we made an agreement where they kicked in a little money (not enough if you ask me, but I was out of warranty).

Good luck!!

Back