Windshield Buzz - Wiper Rain Gutter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Buzz - Wiper Rain Gutter

Holligl

Reaction score
City, State
Hoffman Estates, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited Platinum
After recently getting the Ex back from a second trip to fix residual A-Pillar issues, we headed out this weekend from Chicago to Kentucky. We soon experienced a buzzing from the windshield, but different than the A-Pillar rattle. It was not as loud, but more consistent at speeds over 65. Really could not even tell what side it was coming from, or how high or low. After 400 miles I got a chance to look it over. What I found was a small gap in two places between the windshield and the rain gutter under the windshield wipers. It does not catch wind directly, but at high speed catches enough turbulence to start buzzing. I pressed it down enough to reduce the gap, and then applied some electrical tape for the drive home. Quiet again! I hate to make another trip to the dealer just for this. I think I'll temporarily patch it with some black Gorilla Duct tape for any long trips until the next shop visit. It is not a highly visible area, but does catch ice scraping jabs in the winter. I do think they will need to replace it. It is supposed to be firm against the windshield but is not sealed. I suspect some people might have this happen and think it is the A-Pillar. (Early Dec 2010 Build)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have the same thing happening, and under the same circumstances... Have taken it in twice for the A-Pillar rattle, I thought the pillars were rattling again, but it was a little different sound this time. I came to the same conclusion about the gutter. Mine happens ALL the time when I'm going over 40mph. I will try taping it down and seeing if the sound goes away, thanks for the tip.

Have the same thing happening, and under the same circumstances... Have taken it in twice for the A-Pillar rattle, I thought the pillars were rattling again, but it was a little different sound this time. I came to the same conclusion about the gutter. Mine happens ALL the time when I'm going over 40mph. I will try taping it down and seeing if the sound goes away, thanks for the tip.

Any luck? Did it work?

Hey I'm having the same problem had the A pillar thing done still have problem is there anyway you could post a picture of where you taped

Hey I'm having the same problem had the A pillar thing done still have problem is there anyway you could post a picture of where you taped
I want to see this resolved for you, kcdave. I can help by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your VIN, contact info, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

I am ready to glue down all the rubber to the windshield and if ever cracks then it will go back to the dealer again. They need to leave an ex in the wind tunnel untill nothing buzzes rattles or drives the driver and passengers NUTS! Ps. Mine does this also...early build..

They need to leave an ex in the wind tunnel untill nothing buzzes rattles or drives the driver and passengers NUTS!

Amen!

Interestingly enough, when you look at the mule shots (ex with camo all over it), it looks like a lot of the windshield edges were covered up, so no real wind would have actually hit the A-pillars, thus creating a buzzing or rattle sound. If ford was trying to "hide" the pillar system, the best thing they could have done was hide it in plain site - paint the A-pillars (to make them look like they're part of the car) and let them be in the open. With that method, ford would then know about a rattle.

Covering A-pillars with camo = no way to know about A-pillar rattle/buzz.

2011-Ford-Explorer-31.jpg

...They need to leave an ex in the wind tunnel untill nothing buzzes rattles or drives the driver and passengers NUTS! Ps. Mine does this also...early build..
I don’t want you or your passengers to go nuts, jeff59rt1. :) I can lend a hand by sending the info to the Customer Service Manager in your region. So I can do this, shoot a PM with your mileage, contact info, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Cory

FYI. There is a second TSB for this. Search forum or look at TSB Sicky.

Back