Crank but no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crank but no start

LIL Lon

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer cranks but won't start. Vehicle has been driven about a month after an oil change. Parked one day in driveway. Went out to start it and now it cranks with all power, lights, electrical components working. I can hear clicking near fuse panel under hood. Don't know where to start with finding the problem. Never had a problem with vehicle before this.

2001 Explorer cranks but won't start. Vehicle has been driven about a month after an oil change. Parked one day in driveway. Went out to start it and now it cranks with all power, lights, electrical components working. I can hear clicking near fuse panel under hood. Don't know where to start with finding the problem. Never had a problem with vehicle before this.

Check your fuel pressure at the rail. It should be around 65 PSI. You can also try spraying starting fluid into the throttle body for about 2-4 seconds and see if it will start briefly. If it does, you're not getting fuel. Ford's fuel pumps tend to wear out around 175K-200K miles and will typically fail during cold weather. I've had 5 begin with working intermittently and then failing as soon as the weather turns cold. All of the trucks had around 200K on them at the time.

Back