Crank / Harmonic Balancer Bolt Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crank / Harmonic Balancer Bolt Removal

jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
My engine is out of the truck and other than the front cover, is dis-assembled. I need to get the balancer off, but trying to break the crank bolt is difficult since the engine spins freely. First is this a standard threaded bolt? (Lefty loosey), and second, can I wedge something to stop the engine from spinning. I was thinking something thru the holes in the balancer itself, or the other end of the crank, or even a wood block/wedge between the crank counter weights and engine block. Thanx much!

Got the bolt off. Normal threads, big breaker bar, and a piece of wood between the crank and block to hold it still. No prob. Now the puller bolts. I seem to remember M8 1.25 thread, 100mm long?

Yup, 8mm-1.25 pitch-100mm long. I stripped the threads on the bolts quite a bit while test fitting them, but there was enough thread on there to do the job afterward. Those threaded holes in the pulley were really gunked up from years of off roading. In hindsight I should've cleaned them out first, but heck, the thing is off! And it only cost me 2 bucks for the bolts (had the puller already). Oh yeah and leaving the crank bolt in a few threads is the way to go. After I cranked on the puller a few turns, that thing backed right out and just the slightest wack w/ the back of my ratchet and the balancer came right off!

Back