• Register Today It's free!

Cranks over no spark.

nova801428

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Ford Ranger
My friend jumped his 89 Ford Ranger with a 2.9L v6, 5spd, 4x4 over some railroad tracks and the engine died as soon as it hit the ground. Fuel pressure is right at 40. Replaced coil, distributor (broken), coil wire, icm (tfi thing) and there is still no spark. He is getting power to the coil from all the wires. The coil won't spark either. Checked fuses. Enertia switch wasn't tripped. No spark anywhere. What could cause this? I was thinking a loose ground but where? We checked all visual grounds, and did not see any loose ones. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is turning, that is what is so damn confusing. I am thinking cps, what do you think?

would of been the first thing id check with an impact like that. no crank signal=no spark.

Took it to a mechanic and supposedly it's fried. I don't think so. But, whatever.

I don't remember if the 2.9 has this but does it have a modulator on the side of the distibutor, and it is working properly? that would be my first guess..

Did you run an ohms test on the coil just to make sure it is good?

This tool might help you start it: http://eppys.com/ProductHighlight.aspx?ProductID=2728
LIS50660.jpg

Sounds like the TFI to me, my B2 pulled the same crap on me, check the fusable links on the pasenger side, there is one for part of the iginition, when tfi went out it took that with it on my b2. I fixed the link, and the tfi and she runs like a top;)

Yes, it does have the icm (ignition control module) on the side. It was replaced and made no difference. I used my coil from my working ranger to see if it worked on his and made no difference. He replaced the computer and everything is fine now. Thanks for the help.

Wow, blew out the computer, he must have really hit hard, or the computer was not mounted solid. It must have taken a real beating to break stuff in there.

Anyway thanks for the update.

No prob for the update. I was thinking, since he also broke the distributor, could that have caused a short? Thanks

There is a paper which usually comes with a remanufactured computer stating that you have to troubleshoot all solenoids, wiring, and sensors going into the computer before plugging the new computer in. If there is a short, it will blow out the new computer.

Makes sense :thumbsup:, I guess he won't be jumping any railroads anymore :)

Makes sense :thumbsup:, I guess he won't be jumping any railroads anymore :)

Great infor and glad you got it fixed. I'd check both motor mounts and the trans mount and probably replace them all as that is prolly how the distributor got broken when it all shifted on landing and hit the firewall.

Back