Crankshaft oil seal replacement - 4.0 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crankshaft oil seal replacement - 4.0 OHV

stubborn1

Reaction score
City, State
WISCONSIN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 4wd XLT
I've got a little oil leaking from the front of the engine at the crankshaft seal. I would guess it leaves the spot the size of a quarter every day. Can anyone who has done this repair answer a few questions for me?

1. Do I need a special tool to set the new seal at the proper depth? My maintenance manaul references a "crankshaft damper replacer" and a "seal replacer" as special tools required for this work. Is the crankshaft damper replacer really the harmonic balancer working in reverse?
2. How long does this job take start to finish? (assuming I have the proper tools and not running back and forth to the parts store)
3. Am I crazy fixing this just to get rid of a slow oil leak? ;)

Thanks

bump, anyone??????

Don’t know the exact way for the OHV V6 but it’s all sorta similar,

Basically
1.Remover the serpentine belt
2. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
3. Using a puller remove the crankshaft pulley, use a puller that bolt’s to the pulley hub and not a 2 or 3 jaw puller as it may damage the pulley.
4.To get the seal out you can just use a screwdriver but be careful not to damage the machined surface or the new seal will leak when you install it.

To install the new seal just put some engine oil on it and drive it into place with a socket slightly smaller than the seal.

Aussie Explorer said:
Don’t know the exact way for the OHV V6 but it’s all sorta similar,

Basically
1.Remover the serpentine belt
2. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
3. Using a puller remove the crankshaft pulley, use a puller that bolt’s to the pulley hub and not a 2 or 3 jaw puller as it may damage the pulley.
4.To get the seal out you can just use a screwdriver but be careful not to damage the machined surface or the new seal will leak when you install it.

To install the new seal just put some engine oil on it and drive it into place with a socket slightly smaller than the seal.

Thanks for the hint on the socket.

Back