• Register Today It's free!

Crankshaft Sheared Off

nicndar

Reaction score
City, State
Quantico, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 F-250 and Explorer
Hello...I am new to this forum and wanted to query the thought of my recent situation. My 1997 Explorer while trying to start it up Friday morning would not start. After further investigation I noticed the belt not turning while trying to start the motor. I notice the crank pully was laying loose. I removed the pully by hand and noticed the crank had snapped off just past the end of the bolt that holds the pulley on the shaft. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Does Ford have a recall in regards to a bad batch of these items? Any info will help...Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No recall for that... I have never heard of that happening to an Explorer... sorry.

Thats been talked about for years on alot of ford forums, pretty rare, but not un-heard of, sorry dude

Hi i just bought a 97 sport 4.0 ohv and it has the same problem.I removed engnie and repaced crank oil pump timing set moly rings valve job and all gaskets and freeze plugs and spent about 750.00

Very rare I'm sure, sorry to hear that. I might guess that the crank bolt might have not been tight enough. It should be at least 85 lbs.ft. I'd bet. On a Cleveland, that's a 120 lbs.ft. bolt, or more if you feel like it. There should at least be some blue locktight used for the crank bolt. Good luck,
DonW

Yeah I've heard of the happening from time to time, I'd def. be pissed !

Well I just thought I would resurect an old post. Today my crank pulley bolt sheered off inside the crank. :fire: I was on my way to the junkyard for a couple of troubleshooting parts because my truck all of a sudden does not have any power. To add insult to injury, I think the bolt flew off and put a hole in my radiator. I hope to god I can get this thing out with an easyout. I don't know if there is enought room to get a regular drill in there so I might have to buy a right angle drill for the job. There goes my Christmas savings :mad:

Back