• Register Today It's free!

Creak/Squeak

floydfly

Reaction score
City, State
Denver,CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
When I go through a dip (or push down on the front drivers side corner), I get these noises. I hit everything in sight with WD40 to no avail. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are in good shape, but maybe I didn't Get them with the WD40.
I'll try again.

If it's the RA bushings, I doubt if WD40 is going to help. It may help you isolate the problem, but it won't be a long term fix.

Radius Arm Bushings are a common source of squeaking.. (especially so if they are the hard polyurethane kind). Shocks, coil springs mounts, axle pivot bushings, and sway bar bushings are other culprits. A rusted out body mount(s) can also attribute to some squeaking noise.

Also the if the bolts that attach the sway bar to the frame are loose, you can get the creak/squeak noise.

Mine does the same thing and its the radius arm bushings. I had them done at a shop I don't like because the usual guy was too busy. It started making the noise, so I took it to the guy I usually use. He said he puts heavy water resistant grease (axle bearing grease I guess) on the bushing before he installs it, but it couldn't be stopped without taking them off.

Well, I'm not going to that length, But I will spray them with teflon lube.

My truck had that squeak on the right side of the truck. Has your truck sat for a period of time at all lately?

Driving mine made the squeak go away over time, but now the radius arm bushings need to be changed anyway.

Not sure if it has sat around because I just bought it. Pretty sure it was a daily driver. Hopefully teflon, and 1500 mile road trip, Denver to Mazatlan will do the trick. Leaving saturday. Goodbye winter!

Whoa you are driving to Mazatlan? Bring a jerry can with extra gas, you don't want to run out in the middle of nowhere in Meh'ico. They'll eat you like pumpkin pie if you're not careful.

Back