Creaking noise when turning the steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Creaking noise when turning the steering wheel

PAExplorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC AWD
In slow turns I hear a creaking/groaning noise coming from the steering column area as I turn the steering wheel. It doesn't sound like to be coming from the outside like ball joints, tie rods or bearings. At normal speeds it goes away. It is just annoying and makes me wanna fix it. There are some old threads here but none seem to have found the source.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does that too. I assume it is a bearing or u-joint in the column. It's annoying, but not yet bad enough to make me want to start taking that mess apart.

I agree. If it takes taking the column apart I'll learn to live with it. What is interesting is that my wife's 08 Saturn with only 45,000 mil does exactly the same thing, and worse.

my '01 2WD makes kinda of creating noise when I turn the steering wheel left or right, but only after driving it for a while. it seems to do it more when it's hot out. I originally thought it was the ball joints, as the boots were rotted, but after changing the uppers and lowers (along with the outer tie rod ends and sway bar end-links/bushings) it still does it. only things left are inner tie rod ends or maybe lower control arm bushings. I do not thing it's steering column related.

I had to replace the rack and pinion assembly when I had that problem.
Now I have a nice rack. :D

Back