• Register Today It's free!

5.0 awd creaking noise

Joe Bloomingdale

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomingdale N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 E.B.X V8/00 F250 V10
Hey everybody! I'm new here and I've got a problem. My 97 5.0 Explorer has a creaking noise at slow speeds in the area of the front driveshaft and transfer case. I changed the front shaft thinking it was a bad cv joint but the noise is still there. when the shaft was removed the noise was gone, but the new shaft did not solve the problem. In neutral with the truck rolling it will creak when turning the steering left and right. The noise seems to go away over 10-15 miles per hour. Before I change any more parts for no reason I figured maybe I should ask for some opinions on the transfer case,front cv joints or hubs....thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be the rubber in your suspension. Try to hit it with some WD40 or PB blaser. See if this helps any.

re

i have had the same thing for a LONG time. rolling along slowly it creaks like an old stairway. i actually think its my torsion bars. kevlar in the keys / adjusters worn out or missing. please post if you fix this.

creak won't go away!

I had the truck looked at by a friend of a friend and he feels its the transfer case making the noise. If anyone knows why the transfer case on a awd 5.0 would click and creak at very low speed I would love to know why....thanks

I have 97 AWD too.

I have had the SAME PROBLEM for over a year now and always wondered WTF it was. I thought it may be a wheel bearing at first, but I dismissed that.

I think it may be like Dopler said above it confirms my suspicions, something with the suspension or front end or something. I have driven for months and thousands of miles since I noticed it, and if it was a 'fatal' problem for the AWD case it would have showed other signs of failure at higher speeds. I have checked the fluid and it's full.

Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't anymore.

What they said!

I've had my 97 5.0 awd for about a week now..and that's the first thing I noticed as well. I thought it might be wheel bearing or a bad hub rather but after I get rolling it goes away and that doesn't go with the thought of it being a bad bearing. My step-son has the exact same ride only it's a Merc instead of a Ford and he's had the same noise for as long as he can remember, he has described the exact same thing as everyone else here. I'm thinking it's a suspension piece somewhere and leaning towards it being a bushing...so I think I will experiment with the WD-40 just for giggles to see what happens. Hey, I would also like to say "THANKS" for saving me $15 from taking it into the dealer to get the door code. The little black box inside the jack space was the ticket!! :thumbsup:

awd creak

I don't know if it's suspension or not, but when I removed the front driveshaft the noise was gone. Which is why I replaced the front driveshaft with no luck, I guess I'm gonna drive it till it craps out something. Thanks for the replies and once again if anybody knows what's going on with this thing let me know!

Mine makes a slight ticking/creaking sound that goes away after any increase above engine idle moving speed in D. It sounds exactly like the symptoms others have posted here. It isn't an ugly sound and doesn't seem dangerous or fatal, so I have paid it no mind anymore.

If anyone tries and has any luck with the WD40 spray, please provide details and instructions? TIA. I'm working on a few other things for the Ex right now.

I too have a 97 AWD and get a "clicking/popping" when rolling under 20mph. Sounds like it is coming from front end of truck. At faster speeds I cannot hear it. Even in neutral coasting it is present at slower speeds. Previous owner changed front driveshaft & cv thinking it was it, but it did not fix. I would be interested to see if any of us figure it out!

-Aaron

IMHO, if it was the Transfer case, mine would have crapped out long ago. It's been this way for so long, and after many thousands of miles it hasn't gotten any worse.

I believe I noticed that it doesn't make the noise on turns. Only when going straight.

If it is coming from the transfer case, it would make the noise on turns. Also, if it is indeed coming from the transfer case, I don't believe it's 'fatal'.

I used to have a low speed creaking noise when it was cold outside. I'd just spray oil where the CV went to the spindle and it quieted it down for a while and when it would come back i'd hit it with more. If it fixes it, it could be a dust seal. A long time ago I think I read on these forums that the dust seal was redesigned and stopped the noise. It also could be a bushing somewhere in your suspension causing the creaking, some lube on it should fix it.

I'm getting this too at start out and very slow speed (primarily when under load), but seems to go away when the truck is moving in neutral.

Here's what I've found to date...

I have/had two issues.

Right front hub went out..at first driving around town, it was kinda like a pimple on the tire or a flat spot sound...a scruffing sound at the same speed as the tire rotation. Then I went on about a 140 mile trip and wasn't sure I would make it back home...the scruffing sound turned into a griding noise at the same rotation speed as the tire...you know the kind of noise...the one that makes you make faces and lifts you out of your seat!! haha!! so replaced that, all better, but now the Left side is doing the same..(not surprised) now on to the creaking poping noise...I think I have it narrowed down to the upper control arm ball joint. and since it appears to be stock there is no grease zert to help trouble shoot any further. That in addition to the left hub and I think I'll be in good shape. I had to have the wife, all 135 pounds of her, jump up and down on the front bumper to see if we could duplicate the noise...once I found where it was coming from I shot it with WD-40..and it changed the pitch of the noise but didn't fix it. She was a tired puppy after that!!! haha!! best help I got and wouldn't tade her in for anyone else. what I can't figure out is why there are "adj" control arms for the right side but not the drivers.. anyone know anything different?

Well with the huge rebates from ford and dealers dying to get rid of suv's I bought a new explorer so I won't be much help figuring out the creaking problem. I sold the 97 5.0 to a friend who is lifting it and replacing the awd with part time case so my mystery may never be solved, but I appreciate the responses and if we find something during the conversion I'll let you know....thanks

I have a 96 XLT that has the same noise. Dealer said he thought it was a tie bar but couldnt be sure. He wanted $50 to check it. I do the Wd 40 thing myself. I spray all rubber parts and anything else on the suspension that looks like it moves. This normally stops it for a couple weeks to a month, then I do it again

Hey Joe, (where you going with that gu...) oops...

How are you and your friend going to lift your old explorer? with the torsion bars or something else?

We're lifting 4'' with a kit from Superlift, its just about finished and then we're gonna swap out t-case from awd to a part time case and a bunch of other stuff to make it work. When it is finished it should fit 33'' tires that is our hope anyway

I have/had two issues.

Right front hub went out..at first driving around town, it was kinda like a pimple on the tire or a flat spot sound...a scruffing sound at the same speed as the tire rotation. Then I went on about a 140 mile trip and wasn't sure I would make it back home...the scruffing sound turned into a griding noise at the same rotation speed as the tire...you know the kind of noise...the one that makes you make faces and lifts you out of your seat!! haha!! so replaced that, all better, but now the Left side is doing the same..(not surprised) now on to the creaking poping noise...I think I have it narrowed down to the upper control arm ball joint. and since it appears to be stock there is no grease zert to help trouble shoot any further. That in addition to the left hub and I think I'll be in good shape. I had to have the wife, all 135 pounds of her, jump up and down on the front bumper to see if we could duplicate the noise...once I found where it was coming from I shot it with WD-40..and it changed the pitch of the noise but didn't fix it. She was a tired puppy after that!!! haha!! best help I got and wouldn't tade her in for anyone else. what I can't figure out is why there are "adj" control arms for the right side but not the drivers.. anyone know anything different?

Well the 2 piece upper CA is what ford used to call "Problem Solver" however it makes it easier on the tech doing the alignment it's the weakest point. Bein that the only thing keeping it attaches is 2 bolts (sorry not gonna trust that).
Went ahead and bought solid ones (then returned them after i got the Moog ones which were cheaper in price but better in quality).
Ford has discontinued the Problem Solver (should be labled POS).
They now just have the single piece, which is what should have been there in the first place.

I am getting that squeek also. When i changed the upper control arms i noticed it went away for a time. The bushings in the rear leafs are squeeking. I love how the sounds migrate! Well the bushings on the control arms, leafs, sway bars, and such all make some noise. I used a silicone spray and no more noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe my problems were ever with the suspension of the truck,I didn't ever have to hit bumps or rock it up and down.The truck would tick and creak from the t-case area as soon as the truck would move forward in drive, in neutral or with the front drive shaft removed the noise is gone. At low speed the noise is slower at higher speed the noise speeds up then goes away over 15 miles an hour. I may never know what the noise was but I thank you guys for your input.

Back