cross compatibility of ford brake booster? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cross compatibility of ford brake booster?

full foot notch

Reaction score
City, State
orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 2dr 4x4
as yall know, i have that explorer on 38s, well it seems that either the booster or master cylider is going, as the pedal drops to the floor somewhat if pressure is applied(over normal pedal pressure), and ive made sure that there is no air in the lines and all of the lines are in good shape, i even checked the RABS module that is known to act up once in a while, some valve body that sticks)

so since im wanting to go larger tires and axles, rockwell/ deuce and a half axles, since im gonna make this a mud truck, and sooner or later a 302 swap, im wanting to put in a larger booster and master cylinder for the rockwell axles, so ive been told on other boards, that i need to go to a Ford F250 or F350 booster and master cylider and that should give ample power to the axle

but my main question is will the F150,250, or F350 bolt right up to the bolt holes of the explorer

ive researched it thru my old work, advance auto, and the 92 explorer has a part number of 503132(Cardone product), and then i checked the part numbers on the (also 1992)F150,250 and 350, and with either a inline 6 or 351, it had a part number of 504210,so i see a cross compatibility of the same part number, and that is for a vehicle under 7k GVW, and for the over 7K class, it was a part number of 504400, so that says that there is a difference between the two, for the hell of it, i checked all the E-line of vanes, since i figured that they would have a smaller engine compartment than the F-series, and no matter the size of the engine or size of the van, it was the part number of 504402,so that shows crosscompatability too

and if the bolt holes work too, would a hydroboost or hydrovac work with my 4.0 engine, and whats the real main difference between hydroboost(which im familiar with on chevy's) and the hydrovac, is it more just of a vaccuum from the manifold for the hydrovac, and the hydroboost is a tie-in into the P/S pump like the chevy's are?

and as for the reason for going rockwells is that i fear that the 38+ tire is going to continually break a stock D44 axle, and the price of a D60 around here is 1500 each axle, but yet if ya look around, you can get a set of rockwell(F&R) for $1k rebuilt, but thats information will really not need to factor into my above question)

Did you ever get this answered? I'm looking for an easy brake upgrade to the booster or go PS pump assist....

It should bolt up, but if you are going hydro assist, dont plan on a simple conversion at all....Now I have never done this so you are in uncharted waters as far as I know, but I have looked into it a bit, a friend of mine has all the superduty stuff sitting on a shelf, someday going in a EB. I think the least of your worries is the holes int he firewall for the booster and pedal linkage/plunger. there are aftermakret braking systems that can be graphted in so anything is possible.
F-250 superduty hydro assist is just one of your options since you are not trying to retain the stock calipers, axles, etc.

I would be ripping out he entire ABS system if you are going rockwells and 38's, so all new lines at least pas tthe ABS valve.

A simple test for your booster is to pull the linew when the engie is not running. Does it hold vacuum?
Your problem sounds like a bottomed out master cylinder to me.

would this be a problem if you where putting like say f 250 axels on the x?

Back