Cruise control not working 2005 EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control not working 2005 EB

kend9090

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Explorer 2005 EB 4.0L cruise control not activating. No cruise light on dash.
I do not use this frequently but noticed it stopped working.
Checked switch on brake pedal it is OK.
Looking through the forums, I Checked Deactivation sensor on the master cylinder and it has 3 wires coming out of it. Mounted on underside of MC. I'm assuming that one wire maybe for Advanced trac RSC? If unplugged I get the Advance Trac light on the dash. I see no change in resistance when stepping on brakes. I can't find a schematic that is readable online so troubleshooting from forums. They seem to point to safety deactivation sensor on MC since Cruise light on dash does not even turn ON.
I see 2 wire deactivation sensors listed online but do not see a 3 wire?
resistance readings: Pin 1 Red wire==>Pin 2 Red/wht is 182Kohms.
Pin 1 Red wire==> pin 3 White/red is 6.45kohm
White/red==>Red/wht is 192K ohms. No change on any when brake is applied.
Am looking at the correct area?
If I look at replacement parts online it looks exactly like sw-6349 and says that it is the part for a 2005 Eddie Bauer but mine has 3 wires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found some information online for a 2004 explorer with IVD. I believe my 2005 EB is close to this schematic and it does not use a Cruise control sensor for the Master Cylinder, it has a second brake pedal switch. the Master cylinder sensor is the master brake pressure sensor and has 3 wire inputs to the ABS. Evidently some 2005 explorer use the deactivation sensor on the master cylinder

Yes, I saw that video and that's what started me down the wrong path to troubleshoot my EB. I don't work on cars alot so thats why I posted on this forum. Evidently there is a IVD that took place in late 2004 which uses the safety switch on the brake pedal to replace the Master cylinder cruise control sensor on some of the Explorers.
Probably because of the fires, my guess?
Here's a very good Explorer schematic that i found find on the internet very close to my EB 2005.
This is worth bookmarking for anyone who has a 2004 or 2005.
http://www.fordexplorerclub.ru/Alex/Sch_2004_Explorer.pdf
Once I had the schematic on page 13 & 14 for cruise control I could understand what I had and how it worked.
The wires to the safety Switch are a little too short and moved a lot when the brake pedal was depressed.
I had wire fatigue on the hot wire going into the switch. Wire looked OK but it had broken inside the insulation. It didn't affect anything else just the cruise control.
I soldered a pair of pigtails into the connector and used shrink tube to insulate also gave it some slack so there was little movement when the brake pedal is pushed.
If OEM had used 2 inches more of wire it would have taken off the stress of the pedal.
Once you have the correct schematic and you know where to jumper it's not hard to find. I hope this helps someone else!

Let explain about the video, its an excellent video very well done.
After I read what I posted I wanted to clarify that.
It's just that my Master cylinder looked very,very close to the one on the video with the one sensor point down.
But the sensor on my EB is for the Master brake pressure and thus the 3 wires.
I just want to explain so i don't sound like i'm dismissing the video.
Thanks for the help!

Back