• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control problem

partybob99

Reaction score
City, State
NW Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
My just purchased a 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer, 4.6L and the cruise control is not working. I reviewed the threads posted on this site and long story short, everything electrical is working. The problem is the cruise control cable plastic clip, where it attaches to the throttle body has a small piece broken out of it.. just the smallest little piece is missing, but of course it's enough for the cable to fall off almost immediately.

I saw a few people who've had this same problem but I dont believe they posted what they did to fix it! Has someone come up with an ingenious way to attach the clip back to the throttle body? Is replacing the entire cruise control cable ($32) the only way that makes sense? Is the cable easy to replace? It doesn't seem to bad but I'm wondering if any surprises await when I detach it from the servo control box.

Thanks all.. you do a great job here.

i had to replace me cable on my old 1998 when i broke the plastic end off. if your feeling lucky - you could wire it together?

If it is the plastic connector on the cable just replace the cable. I broke the plastic "mount" to mine on the trottle body when I took the throttle body off to clean it (oops!!) and only way to fix it was to replace the throttle body. Picked one up on ebay.

fixed by installing a new cruise control cable. Now when I engage the cruise at 40mph, the vehicle takes off and races up to 50 to 55mph.. i'm wondering if the cruise control servo must "learn" how to be used again... I unplugged the battery to clear any memory and will start playing with it again this week.

Back